Muffin Mix kept in fridge and used when needed

actiongirl1, Apr 6, 8:38am
Can anyone remember this bulk recipie?I have one made with sultana bran cereal but not sure if it is the one that can be left in the fridge.
Thankyou

tippycaro, Apr 6, 10:02am
I got this when I first brought a microwave many moons ago but there is no reason why it cannot be cooked in the oven.
Bran Muffins
3 Cups Bran
1 Cup Water, boiling
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups milk
1/2 cup salad oil
1 cup raisins, currants or chopped dates
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tbls gravy browning (only used to colour muffins if cooked in microwave)

Combine bran and boiling water in a large bowl and stir thoroughly.
Stir in beaten eggs, milk, oil and fruit. Blend well.
Mix dry ingredients in batter bowl. Stir in bran mix.
Transfer to a container with a lid to store in the fridge until required.

Spoon batter in paper cups in muffin tray filling each half full.
Microwave high 2 1/2 mins or in oven until muffins spring back when cooked.

cookessentials, Apr 6, 10:04am
I have one somewhere with molasses in it and I am sure it was similar.

gardie, Apr 6, 6:14pm
I too had one that used buttermilk.We used to make up a huge batch and pop it in the fridge all ready to bake in the early hours at our coffee shop for those who wanted an early morning treat with their coffee.Must see if I still have it somewhere - haven't seen it for ages.

fluffydog, Apr 6, 9:05pm
So the whole wet mixture into the fridge is that right

nzhel, Apr 7, 12:24am
Yep it sure is. I used to make up a batch and often had a fresh warm bran and sultana type muffin and yoghurt with my cup of tea for breakfast.

actiongirl1, Apr 7, 9:05am
I think it was made up for when you finished cooking tea at night and the oven was still hot, you could just make up as many muffins as needed for lunches the next day...this is going back many years though...

gardie, Apr 7, 6:10pm
My recipe kept for a month in the fridge - usually never got to keep it that long but I've certainly kept it for 2 weeks.

jeeza1, Apr 7, 6:34pm
Please....gardie, can we have your recipie...thanks.

wron, Apr 8, 10:38am
bumping for gardie!

sarahj1, Apr 8, 10:36pm
Commercial bakers use a baking powder that doesn't start acting until it comes into contact with heat, so wet mixes can be left in the fridge.
Bakels make a variety and Edmonds Acto is another - you would probably have to buy it through a wholesaler or maybe your friendly local baker would sell you some?

tjc30, Apr 12, 7:06am
I have never used this so don't know how it would come out. I remembered reading it in my muffin book a couple of weeks ago, It a 1982 book.
Moist Bran keep in the fridge for up to 2 weekstemp 375deg F, time 20-25 min makes 36 muffins
1 cup shortening or margerine,2 cups white sugar OR 1/4 cup molasses and 1 1/4 cup sugar, 2 cups natural bran,4 eggs,3 cups buttermilk (you can make this yourself by googling recipies), 1 TBSP baking powder, 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1 TBSP baking soda, 1/2 cup hot water.

In a very large bowl cream shortening and sugar, Stir in bran, eggs, buttermilk,flour and baking powder.
Dissolves soda in water and pour on top of first mixture after 1 min mix together. Cover and keep cool in fridge for 24 hours before baking.

Add 1 cup or more of cut up prunes or raisins etc if you want.

korbo, Apr 12, 1:53pm
gardie, recipe please.
would this have been called the friendship muffin recipe. i remember back in the 80's we had one, that we feed daily and halved or something. would love this again.

actiongirl1, Apr 15, 10:12am
Bumping for Gardie - your recipie sounds like the one i am looking for...please post it for us. Thankyou

actiongirl1, Apr 15, 10:25am
Here is my recipie

Sultana Bran Muffins

300grm pkt Pams Sultana Bran Cereal
3 cups sugar
5 cups flour
5 tsp Baking soda
4 tsp cinnamin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg or mixed spice
MIX TOGETHER
Add