Thai Fish Green Curry - what went wrong?

mazzy1, Mar 23, 9:00pm
This was the recipe I found. It was sort of ok but I found it salty and bland - what would you have added to give it a bit more personality!

• 700g monkfish, filleted, skinned and cut into cubes
• 1 tablesp. oil
• 75g(¼ cup)Green Thai paste
• 1 teasp. root ginger, grated
• 4 scallions,thinly sliced
• 1 red pepper, sliced
• 400mltin of coconut milk
• Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
• Small handful of fresh coriander and basil, chopped
• Juice of half lime

To Cook
Method
Add the oil to a large heavy based frying pan, and warm a little, then add the paste and cook for a minute.Then stir in the ginger, scallions and peppers and coat in the paste. Pour in the coconut milk, and boil for 2 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Season the fish and add to the mixture in the pan and gently simmer for 5 minutes until the fish is beginning to flake. Add the chopped herbs and lime juice

twindizzy, Mar 23, 9:04pm
Kaffir lime leaves

davidt4, Mar 23, 9:28pm
1.Depends on the quality of the curry paste - some commercial ones are very good, others stale and dull
2.75g of curry paste doesn't seem like enough for 700g fish
3.Needs fish sauce, palm sugar, kaffir limes leaves, lemongrass
4.The correct method is to boil the coconut until it splits, then add the curry paste and fry, then add the other ingredients
5.Leave the herb leaves whole, add mint, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil.
6.Balance is essential.Taste and adjust fish sauce, sugarand lime until the tastes of hot, sour, sweet and salt are in balance.

mazzy1, Mar 23, 11:53pm
Good advice davidt, as usual. I'll tackle it differently next time. I'll have to find some kaffir lime leaves too. My husband thought it was lovely but I wasn't happy with it. He hates me prefacing the meal by saying it's not perfect but it was true!

bo0tsey, Mar 24, 12:36am
Thai curries normally call for fish sauce and a tablepsoon of sugar

sarahb5, Mar 24, 3:19am
Try red chilli rather than red pepper

gerry64, Mar 24, 4:10am
Agree with Sarah -needs chilli
You need to fry the paste until it is really fragrant go by smell rather than time
My uni neighbours do a lovely green curry with surimi - for someone on a budget it is a good subsititute for a prawn curry