How to make green curry

245sam, Jun 4, 5:24am
chchgurl24, the following is from the former Trade Me Cooks and is thanks to davidt4:

"Green Curry Paste
5 coriander seeds,
5 cumin seeds,
5 white peppercorns,
6 small hot green chillies, chopped,
3 long green chillies, deseeded and chopped,
2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped,
2 tab chopped galangal,
10 red shallots chopped,
5 cloves garlic chopped,
3 coriander roots scraped and chopped,
1 tab fresh tumeric chopped,
zest of 1 kaffir lime finely grated,
1 tsp Thai shrimp paste, roasted.

Lightly roast coriander, cumin and peppercorns in a dry pan, grind to a powder. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and roast until fragrant. Pound all ingredients in a mortar (or in a small food processor) until very finely ground."

Hope that is what you were wanting. :-))

awoftam, Jun 4, 5:37am
If you have a packet of paste, there would be instructions on it, including how long to fry the paste for before adding other ingredients?

Coconut cream, and fish sauce would be a must. along with coriander at the end - other than that it would depend what was in the paste you have.

tweake, Jun 4, 5:47am
i think most will just buy a packet of it. tho fresh would be nicer.

there is so many ways you do the dish. basics are coconut cream, chillies, meat, veg, kaffir lime leaves. rice as a side dish, no you don't mix it with the curry "kiwi style". also i find green beans go nice as a side as well. anything that cools the curry fire.

chicken is the common meat but rabbit is really nice as well.

hardest thing is finding a good green curry paste, if you do not want to make it yourself. avoid aussie made stuff. yuucckkkkk! most of the imported thai pastes have been good.

awoftam, Jun 4, 6:17am
OP stated they had a packet paste - and I agree with you the question re what to add as the OP question reminded me of 'how long is a piece of string?'

245sam, Jun 4, 6:22am
I understood from OP's request that she was wanting to know what to add to make a green curry paste that was the same or similar as the packeted paste. As advised above if she actually has a packet of green curry paste, then I would expect that she would have all the necessary cooking instructions + suggestions re ingredients that could be added to make the actual curry. :-))

awoftam, Jun 4, 6:55am
Where did you get it from? I'd bin it.

245sam, Jun 6, 6:58am
chchgurl24, whilst searching for another recipe I have just found the following recipe that you might find useful if you still have that green curry paste needing to be used:-

http://www.holst.co.nz/Recipes/Thai-style-Green-Curry.aspx

fxx99, Jun 8, 1:06am
A little shrimp paste, palm sugar and chicken stock will always make it taste like a NZ thai restaurant curry.

fxx99, Jun 9, 10:51pm

sampa, Jun 10, 12:37am
Fry the paste in a little oil (to help release the flavours then add coconut milk (or I used to use stock as a family member didn't much like coconut milk) and choice of protein (cubed chicken is nice - you can pre-brown or let it simmer to cook through in the sauce, prawns are lovely and cook quickly in the sauce) and veg - this is open to interpretation but carrots/beans/sugar snap type peas/capsicum/onions etc all work, obviously add the slower cooking ones first. vegies shouldn't cook through to 'mushy', ideally you want a bit of bite in them at the end.

If sauce needs a bit of a 'pick up' try adding a little fish or soy sauce, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice or a little bit of chilli if it's not hot enough for your tastes - be careful though. if it's Thai authentic it might already be pretty hot. If you have a bunch of coriander with the roots still attached finely chop up the stems and throw those in - most of the flavour is in the stems.

Serve with jasmine (fragrant) rice if you have it and garnish with coriander leaves if possible.

bluetigerrr, Jun 5, 5:19pm
From Nigel Slater .

THAI GREEN VEGETABLE CURRY

Chillies, ginger and spices here. Sometimes you just can't fail. You may have to take a trip to a big-name supermarket - bottled lemongrass and lime leaves have little going for them - but this is fun cooking and great eating. It is both fiery and soothing, the chillies being cooled by the coconut milk, and is at once invigorating and luxurious. With two of you peeling, seeding and chopping, the prep is soon done. Serves 3.

For the green curry paste:

about 4 stalks of lemon grass, inside leaves only, chopped
6 medium-hot, small green chillies, seeded and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
a thumb-sized piece of galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped
2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
a good fistful of coriander leaves
5 or 6 lime leaves, chopped, or 1 tsp grated lime zest
lime juice (use 1 to start with - you can always add more later)
nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
a good 1/2 tsp black peppercorns

The rest of it:

1 small pumpkin or squash
4 small aubergines (or 8 small egg-shaped ones or 2 whoppers)
2-3 tbsps groundnut oil
8 medium mushrooms or rather more buttons
400ml coconut milk
400ml stock (Marigold bouillon is fine)
green peppercorns, fresh if you can find them
a handful of coriander leaves
a handful of Thai basil leaves

To serve:

boiled Thai or basmati rice

Whizz the curry-paste ingredients in a food processor till you have a vivid, spicily fragrant slush.

Peel and roughly chop the pumpkin or squash. Cut the aubergines lengthwise into quarters and then into fat chunks (small round ones can be simply quartered). Fry them in the oil - a deep frying pan will suffice - until both pumpkin and aubergine are softening, then add the mushrooms. The heat should be quite high, as the vegetables need to brown here and there. Spoon in about 4 tbsps of the paste (more can be added later but it is too early to taste yet) and let it fry and sizzle. Stir so it doesn't stick.

Pour in the coconut milk and stock, scatter in the green peppercorns, and leave to simmer until the vegetables are fully tender. Taste the curry, adding a little more paste if you think it needs it, in which case you will have to cook it for a few minutes longer. Either way, it should be ready within 10 minutes. Scatter the herbs over and serve with the rice.