Beef in freezer almost 2 years

Page 1 / 2
bubbles22222, Mar 26, 8:13am
a roast beef, would you eat it after this long of being in a freezer!

bikernutrr, Mar 26, 8:15am
No problem.

samanya, Mar 26, 8:22am
yep, I would, but would trim all fat if it looked suss/manky.

medicina, Mar 26, 8:23am
Yes.Cook it really well.

figjamto, Mar 26, 8:35am
Yes if it has been packaged well to begin with,.not a problem

uli, Mar 26, 8:35am
Was it raw or cooked!

bubbles22222, Mar 26, 6:49pm
raw

toffeey, Mar 26, 6:52pm
No problems. On Sunday I cooked a roast that had been in my freezer for 3 years. Taste and texture was very good.

pickles7, Mar 26, 6:52pm
It will probably be tainted.

harrislucinda, Mar 26, 7:44pm
mighthavefrostburnbutshouldbeok---trywhen cookediftastesfunnydonteat

sclaredy_cat, Mar 26, 8:19pm
It will be fine - I would make a big curry out of it, just in case it's suffering freezer burn

kevymtnz, Mar 26, 8:52pm
wow look how many will eat it :-(
i wouldnt even give it to the dog

pickles7, Mar 26, 9:30pm
yep.lol. they used to the squirts

kay141, Mar 27, 12:40am
I would cook it if it smelt and looked OK after thawing.

dezzie, Mar 27, 12:43am
Yep, I'd eat it as well, homekill never has dates on it, gawd knows how old some of the packets I've ferreted out of the bottom of the freezer and cooked with no ill effects would have been.

mothergoose_nz, Mar 27, 4:00am
father in law gotguillain-barré . would wish it on an enemy. we think it was from old meat in the freezer. he died.

antoniab, Mar 27, 7:34am
As long as its not freezer burnt Id eat it.

rainrain1, Mar 27, 6:36pm
nothing wrong with it up to two years in the freezer

lilyfield, Mar 27, 7:26pm
I would certainly eat it.

yellowwood, Mar 27, 7:33pm
I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is in an old packet. As long as it smells okay when thawed then fine.

toffeey, Mar 28, 5:00am
This thread has me mystified. If your freezer works correctly and you froze it properly, why wouldn't it be safe to eat! My understanding is that freezing keeps food safe almot indefinitely. You might not WANT to eat it due to taint or freezer burn but I cannot understand how you could get sick from it if you handle food properly. If it's in the lowest part of a deep freeze this is particularly true as the temp doesn't vary to the same degree when you open and close the freezer. Perhaps those of you displaying the pukey faces could explain this better. I have never been ill eating meat that has been frozen that I have cooked.

yellowwood, Mar 28, 5:29am
Europe had massive freezer warehouses full of beef and butter from the 1970's that only got cleared out about 10 years ago.

kiwiscrapper1, Mar 28, 6:47am
If its 'homekill' it should definitely be fine, It lasts much longer than whats purchased in the supermarket or butcher. I have had fresh home kill for just over 2 years and it was beautiful, it was a reasonable size piece and I cooked it in the crockpot with a trivet under it.

samanya, Mar 28, 6:50am
I know you'd probably make vinegar from it.

uli, Mar 28, 11:35pm
If it was raw AND was kept below minus 18 degrees C then you are fine.
I have eaten meat that was frozen for 8 years - but my freezers are minus 22 degrees at all times.