NZ Gardener Tomato Chilli Jam Recipe

jocook1, Mar 14, 7:57pm
I am hoping someone has this. I can not find my magazine anywhere and have googled and still cant find it.
This is the most delicous Tomato Chilli Jam and I want to make some with the abundance of tomatoes I have.
THanks in advance.

rainrain1, Mar 14, 8:19pm
x1
I have a recipe here which theanimal posted in recipes once.it's beautiful

500gr very ripe tomatoes
4 red chillies (or a tsp from jar)
6cm piece ginger chopped
30mls asian fish sauce
300gr demura sugar
100mls red wine vinegar
Cook for about 40 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Pour into warm jars. Makes about 4 jars. Nice on crackers with or without cream cheese

jocook1, Mar 14, 8:32pm
Thanks rain rain that is definately not the one. The one I used has some butter in it also. Its my daughters favorite and I promised to make some for her. Might have to try something else if I cant find it.
Cheers

shop-a-holic, Mar 14, 9:13pm
I've got the NZ Gardener Homegrown Tomatoes receipe book, but there is no chilli jam recipe.

I have: Chilli Tomato Sauce (no butter in the recipe); Green Tomato Jam (no butter). Was it just a regular issue of NZ Gardener!

jocook1, Mar 14, 9:22pm
Hi there yes it was in one of the monthly mags. from over a year ago. I will have to check out the garage it might b there lol.
Thanks though for looking.

jocook1, Mar 14, 9:38pm
Found it in the garage :)
Will pop it in here so that if anyone else has an abundance and wants to try they can.

Tomato and Chilli Jam Feb 2011 nz gardener magazine
Ingredients:
100g butter
3 small sliced onions
2 green or red chilli's chopped remove seeds if you prefer less heat
500gms tomatoes chopped
100ml malt vinegar
300gms sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions chilies and tomatoes then simmer gently for 30 mins until the tomatoes have cooked down and the onions are soft and sticky. Add the vinegar and sugar and reduce the jam by a quarter, the finished result should be glassy and sticky like fruit jam. add salt and pepper ad pour into sterilised jars. makes about 400ml.

yum yum

245sam, Mar 14, 9:40pm
jocook1, was the NZ Gardener recipe anything like this one!

http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/294/sweet-chilli-jam.aspx

The recipe on that link is called Sweet Chilli Jam but uses 500g tomatoes.

Hope that helps.:-))

Edited to add that I see that the NZ Gardener and the Chelsea recipes are different although both use the same quantity of tomatoes.Pleased you found the recipe you really wanted.:-))