Wanted. muesli recipe.

tika4me, Feb 19, 11:35pm
Must be tasty, low or no sugar, high protein, accessible ingredients and cheap!Thanks.

lilyfield, Feb 19, 11:43pm
Get a bag of rolled oats, throw in some sultanas, chopped apricots, sunflower seeds and peanuts, some wheatgerm and bran. You can roast the lot in the oven , or just roast the nuts.
Quantities according to budget, more fruit- more expensive
Want high protein-add skim milk powder.

cookessentials, Feb 19, 11:46pm
I do a great one but it has honey, is toasted and is not that cheap to make because of all the nuts and fruit in it.

vinee, Feb 19, 11:54pm
Do it in a wok or large fry pan - it will cook more evenly and you are less likely to burn it, which can happen so easily.
I do similar to lilyfeild - oats, bran, seeds, coconut,etc.
I leave out the fruit because I like to put that in a bowl with a bit of boiling water to plump them up.
I also put in a slosh of oil and some honey to taste. The more you put in the more 'caramel popcorn' affect you get. Yum!

magenta, Feb 20, 7:00am
I will be making some as soon as I have time.I think there is an Alison Holst recipe somewhere which is not too high in sugar.The stuff in the packets is getting really terrible.Nothing in it except dry rolled oats and unidentifiable bits of dried up fruit which does not taste of anything.If I can find the recipe I will post it.I think it was on Radio NZ website a couple of years back.

lindylambchops1, Feb 20, 7:22am
This one is delicious!

Muesli from episode 2 Te Radar
1 kg whole oats (Harraways is excellent and local)
1/2 cup of cashews (or instead try almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts)
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups of peanuts (either blanched or even better buy raw and blanch your own under the grill at 200 degrees Celsius for about 10 mins)
2 cups raisins or sultanas
1/2 cup chopped apricots, mango or peach
1/2 cup of thread coconut
3/4 cup canola or olive oil
4 tablespoons of honey

1blanch your peanuts under the grill if you haven't bought blanched nuts
2mix oil and honey together by popping in a cup and microwaving for about 40 seconds
3put oats, nuts, coconut and seeds into a big oven tray and pour over the oil and honey mixture and combine well
4bake at 150 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly for an evening toasting
5allow to cool then add the dried fruit (don't toast the fruit or it burns and turns into hard lumps)
6bottle, eat and enjoy
Things to remember.
Don't buy salted nuts. they need to be unsalted.Look in the bulk bins or baking isle at the supermarket
Whole oats are better for you because they contain bran but if you find them too crunchy, rolled oats are fine too.

cautis, Feb 20, 7:23am
1kg bag rolled oats
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs honey

Oven 100c.Pour the rolled oats in a roasting dish.Drizzle the oil over the oats, melt the honey and drizzle that over too.Bake for 10 minutes.

Leave to cool in the oven.When cool add whatever you want.I divide mine in two cos one kids likes banana chips and hates sultanas, the other kid is the opposite.

I had in banana chips, sultanas, handful of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia and slivered almonds.

lindylambchops1, Feb 20, 7:24am
This is a very tasty healthy option :

Best muesli ever
Those of you who have read A Home Companion will know of my struggle to find a healthy breakfast cereal which isn't loaded with fat and sugar, and contains really good nutrients like brazil nuts (one a day keeps you loaded with selenium) goji berries (immune enhancers) and flax seed or linseed (great fibre and omega 3). But I've had a breakthrough after finding a toasted muesli recipe and greatly reducing the 11/2 cups of olive oil and 1 cup honey! Try it you'll love it and feel free to use all organic ingredients although it's fairly pricey as it is. But you only need a very small bowl to keep you going until lunchtimes.
1kg wholegrain oats
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup coarsely grated coconut
1 cup coarsely chopped brazil nuts
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp cinnamon powder
Mix all together with just 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup liquid honey. Toast in 100 degree C oven for 1 1/2 hours stirring frequently until golden brown.
Then stir in 1 cup sultanas and 1 cup goji berries.
Store in airtight container and prepare for your whole family to love it.
*you can buy goji berries at health stores, supermarket and asian stores where you might find them called wolfberries. They look like red sultanas.

Am sure you could make it as economical as possible!

toadfish, Feb 20, 7:26am
Aunty Bab’sDelicious Meusli

6 Cups Rolled Oats
1 Cup Oatbran
1 Cup Wheatgerm
2 Cups Mixed Cake fruit
1 Cup Lechithin (optional)
¼ Cup Chopped Walnuts

Then add any or all of the following (I add all)

½ Cup Chopped Apricots
½ Cup Pine Nuts
½ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
½ Cup Sunflower Seeds
½ Cup Sesame Seeds
¼ Cup Craisins ( 1 Packet)

This makes 2 x 2 litre Icecream containers
-------------------------------
-------------------------------
------------------------

Mums Adaptation

6 Cups Rolled Oats( half of a 1.5 kg bag, but I always make a double dose anyway)
1 Cup Oatbran
1 Cup Wheatgerm
2 Cups Mixed Cake fruit( I cup sultanas, and one cup chopped dried apple )
1 Cup Lechithin (optional)
¼ Cup Chopped Walnuts ( I usually use hazel nuts or almonds, )

Then add any or all of the following (I add all)

½ Cup Chopped Apricots
½ Cup Pine Nuts
½ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
½ Cup Sunflower Seeds
½ Cup Sesame Seeds(don’t use these, Dad not keen)
¼ Cup Craisins ( 1 Packet)( probably nearer a ½ cup)

lindylambchops1, Feb 20, 7:35am
Another one of my favourites!

Simple Toasted Muesli
Easy
Ready in 35 minutes
This is an easy toasted muesli if you don't want to go to the trouble of individually selecting your dried fruits, although I sometimes add a bit extra of my favourites.
Ingredients
Serves: 12
6 cups rolled oats
1 cup (250ml) fruit juice
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
400g fruit medley
1/3 cup linseed, sunflower, almond meal mix (L.S.A mix)
Preparation method
Prep: 10 minutes |Cook: 25 minutes
1. Preheat oven 180 degrees C.

2. Place oats onto 2 baking trays.

3. Add juice over the top of oats and stir.

4. Place in oven cook for 30 minutes or until golden stirring every 5 minutes.

5. Toast the coconut by putting on a tray into the oven for 5 minutes.

6. Cool oats and coconut.

7. Pour fruit medley into a bowl then add oats, coconut and L.S.A mix.

8. Stir until well combined.