Muesli recipe = Diabetes type 2 - I have recently

17007, Jul 16, 7:09am
learned that Ithis so I am trying to alter my diet accordingly. Or any other recipes and tips would be much appreciated. I'm feeling a bit stuck

uli, Jul 16, 8:27am
What was the question?

I have recently learned that I this so I am trying to alter my diet accordingly...

herself, Jul 16, 8:35am
Uli, if you put "have" between I and this in the first sentence written by poster #1 then you should be able to understand that poster #1 has type 2 diabetes.

amiri1, Jul 16, 8:40am
You have to be careful how you make muesli if you're diabetic. I'm type 1 and it plays havoc with my blood sugars! Oats, dried fruit, and fruit juice are full of sugar/carbs!
If you keep the fruit minimal and bulk it up with coconut thread, nuts and seeds it'll be better for you. Don't add honey, fruit juice or anything else that'll add sugar. Toast the other stuff (nuts, seeds, oats, seasame seeds, pumpkin seeds etc, what you like) and it'll be fine (you get used to the non sweetness). Add stevia when you eat it if you really need the sweetness! :)

amiri1, Jul 16, 8:42am
Sorry it's not more exact but it's been a long time since I've made it. Just don't eat the bought stuff! Very high in carbs/sugar! :(

marielize1, Jul 16, 8:46am
Hi 17007. Two ways to go about this. You can follow the diabetic association's food advice and take your insulin shots forever OR you can get as close as possible to healthy by following a low carb diet. You will find a lot of help, advise, books to read, recipes if you go to the low carb thread. Even better google "nz low carb recipes" and join in the discussions on the nz low carb site.
Also try and get your hands on the following book in the library Bernstein, Richard K. , 1934- Dr. Bernstein's diabetes solution : the complete guide to achieving normal blood sugars.

17007, Jul 16, 8:52am
Sorry it wasnt very clear - I have type 2 diabetes and would like a recipe for muesli and any other recipes suitable for diabetics that you may like to share with me

margyr, Jul 16, 9:03am
17007 just on the left is a search box, in the keyword or member box type diabetic recipes, in the date posted box click on the arrow on the right and then on anytime, then click search you will find loads there. good luck with your diabetes.

visionspring, Jul 16, 9:19am
I reckon that a good mix of seeds, nuts and coconut would be the way to go - For example pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and coconut shavings all mixed together. Then you can eat this with full fat greek yoghurt or whole milk, and it will be nice and crunchy just like regular muesli!

uli, Nov 2, 1:07am
Or any of the low carb "cereal" mixes. If you google the NZ low carb website then there are lots of low carb recipes or you can try the lo-carb recipe thread here on TM.