Bokashi composting in your kitchen

Page 1 / 2
pickles7, Jan 27, 8:10pm
I am giving this a try right now. I started 1 week ago. Amazing. Anyone else been using this method to use up kitchen waste. We have always had a compost pile, but thought we would have a go at this.
Anyone else, Bokashi composting in your kitchen !.

davidt4, Jan 27, 8:29pm
We've recently acquired a Bokashi system as an adjunct to our other compost bins.The Bokashi gets a bit smelly occasionally, and we keep it outside, not in the kitchen.It'sa bit too early for me to tell how well it works.

pickles7, Jan 27, 8:51pm
Mine melds in with all the other "smells" in my kitchen lol. vinegar in one corner. wine blerping away in another. Vinegar overpowers everything else. My husband is sticking to feeding worms, and thinks he needs a few chickens to feed his worms to, for eggs. Maybe we will come together on this venture. Pickled chickens, I am thinking.

sewing_girl, Jan 27, 11:40pm
If it smells you might need to add a bit more of the dry stuff. I had one a few years ago and it took awhile to get used to how much of the dry stuff to put in so that it didnt smell

buttress, Jan 27, 11:42pm
I have worms as well as Bokashi. Bokashi gets the stuff worms dont like such as citrus, onion skins and other bits and bods and of course there's the juice from the bottom to dilute and feed your plants. Had mine a couple of years.

davidt4, Jan 27, 11:47pm
Oh thanks.We do produce a lot of kitchen waste, so more culture might be the answer.

pickles7, Jan 28, 5:55am
Thank for the replies.
Is it ok to feed Bokashi to the worms!
Mine is only smelling when I lift the lid to add more. It has a distinct fermenting smell, not unpleasant. I took off some liquid today and feed my beans, it dose not take long to shrink down

pickles7, Feb 18, 7:08pm
We filled a bucket up in two weeks, The full bucket has been put aside to ferment a bit more while we fill the second bucket. I am very impressed with it so far. I am going to make up my own bran mixture using a fermenting process to make,EM™/BAM(beneficial active microorganism) made with rice water.

lindylambchops1, Feb 20, 3:28am
Do keep us posted on your Home Made Bran Mixture please.What 'recipe' are you using!Quantities etc!
TIA

pickles7, Feb 20, 3:53am
I found a recipe or method to make my own,
EM™/BAM(beneficial active microorganism) made with rice water.
I need to go look at it and see if it's worth the effort. I am finding I am not using as much as I thought I would need to.

goldenbaygran, Feb 20, 8:33am
Have been doing Bokashi for 5 years.Have two buckets, one waiting to go out to the garden or compost (usually out in garage) and other under the sink.Collect the day to day scraps in icecream carton in my pull out bin thingy.Once full then put contents into bokashi bucket.Takes about a week to fill bucket.So only go into the big bucket once a day about, not with every bit of scrap.
Just great,wouldn't be without it.Keep trying.

uli, Feb 20, 8:37am
I wanted to do one years ago but found that I do not have anything for "compost" now from the kitchen. All my compost is now made up from garden weeds, animal manures and seaweed, wood ash etc. Maybe I could "bokashi" that!

What comes out of the kitchen goes to either the chooks or the pigs - hence no "compost" at all :)

pickles7, Feb 20, 7:04pm
My husband thinks he has things sorted for a perpetual food chain. Take my Bokashi to feed his worms to feed to our chickens, so they will give him an egg a day. I see now this won't work. I will feed the chickens with the food scraps rather than make Bokashi, maybe I will give him an egg every now and then.

pickles7, Feb 20, 7:13pm
I am very pleased with the way the Bokashi works, no fruit flies to be seen, no odors from the container inside, it stays on my bench for 2 days sometimes.

rozke, Feb 21, 12:17am
l had never heard of it.Can someone tell me where to buy plz. TIA
Cheers

kay141, Feb 21, 12:56am
I bought mine online. As I don't drive, it was much easier than carrying it home. I have seen them at Commonsense Organics. www.zingbokashi.co.nz/

pickles7, Feb 21, 2:25am
Some garden centers stock them
I got mine off trade me, two buckets . I am unsure if the kit comes with two buckets.

rockie6, Feb 21, 3:19am
Some councils run free courses on composting and this method is often demonstrated. I have thought of it, but have a pig bucket for the scraps, one for the worm bin and one for the compost bin. I would love to replace my worm bin with a Hungry Bin.

lindylambchops1, Feb 22, 2:53am
Pickles you did mention that you might make your own Home Made bran Mixture.did you find an on line recipe!TIA

lindylambchops1, Feb 22, 2:55am
I rang my local Council, which is Hurunui they do a 'deal' with Zingbokashi, so you get the system at a good price.

http://www.zingbokashi.co.nz/hdc.html

coolnzmum, Feb 22, 3:02am
If you can get paint pales you can make your own and just buy the mix.Just put holes in the bottom of one and sit inside the other.

pickles7, Feb 22, 3:40am
EM™/BAM(beneficial active microorganism
http://www.hawaiihealingtree.org/!p=163

you require the EMtm/BAM
you tube is good as well, no getting away from the EM.

I have not bothered as yet, probably won't as I am not going through as much as I thought I would.

pickles7, Feb 22, 3:44am
You do need a lid, they say tight fitting, I am wondering if that is because it is a, anaerobic fermentation process.

coolnzmum, Feb 23, 12:21am
The lids on 20 litre plastic paint pales have very tight fitting lids.It worked well for us when we used them.

pickles7, Feb 23, 1:40am
Yes, they would be ideal.,