Dinner sets

novices, Feb 21, 8:57pm
We need a new white dinner set.Any suggestions as to the best brand to buy.

lilyfield, Feb 21, 8:59pm
Arzberg- if you can afford it

pickles7, Feb 21, 9:02pm
How vulgar.

cookessentials, Feb 21, 9:15pm
Arzberg is beautiful, however, if you are wanting an every day one, Denby makes a plain white one which is very hard wearing. The great thing about the Denby is that you can buy as many or as little as you need. I have Apilco which is a french porcelain and very hard wearing, it is often used by top hotels because of it's hard wearing attributes.
Denby also do James Martin Dine which is also porcelain. In that range you can get dinner plates, side plate, salad plate, soup/cereal bowl a pasta bowl and a rice bowl as well as the usual tea cups and saucers, sauce jug, platters etc. There is a 16pce set available or you can buy separate pieces. The Denby white is similar prices to the James Martin Dine. You are looking at around $35 for a 29cm dinner plate, a salad plate of 24cm is $29.50 and a soup/cereal/dessert bowl of 18cm at $34

davidt4, Feb 21, 10:50pm
Depends how much you want to spend.My Rosenthal porcelain dinnerware cost a small fortune about 20 years ago but is still beautiful after 20 years of very heavy use.

At more reasonable expense it's worth looking at the Maxwell & Williams "Cashmere" line, which is bone china, readily available in sets or open stock,and is very nice looking.It is often on special at Living & Giving.

duckmoon, Feb 21, 11:52pm
Check it can fit in your dishwasher

nfh1, Feb 22, 2:45am
I bought Cashmere for an everyday dinner set and am really pleased with it.I bought two sets which made 8 place settings - they were half price and cost about $150 for both, which I thought was a definite bargain.They are really tough and only managed to break a coffee mug and a side plate because I dropped them onto my kitchen floor which is ceramic tiled.It is easy to pick up loose items, has kept is shine in the dishwasher.No - I don't work for Maxwell Williams.

davidt4, Feb 22, 4:09am
That's handy to know.I've got Cashmere soup/porridge bowls which I use to store things in the fridge and as serving dishes and so far they are lasting very well indeed.I really like the colour - slightly creamy rather than a blue-white.

cookessentials, Feb 22, 6:04am
They must have changed the colour of the Cashmere as I have the cashmere mugs which are nice and fine, rather than those hideous chunky things. Mine are quite white as opposed to cream. Have not had any problems with them.

carly26, Feb 22, 7:00pm
Rhubarb is 50% off at Stevens at the moment. Not sure when the sale finishes though

nzplantlady, Feb 22, 8:19pm
I have $2 plates from Farmers.Do the trick and I don't get too cross with the kids when they break them.I also have crown lynn plates for best.

davidt4, Feb 22, 9:34pm
I noticed in the Herald this morning that Living and Giving has 30% off Cashmere sets.

cottagerose, Feb 24, 2:24am
I have had a rhubarb for 5 years and love it and you can buy extra dishes as you can afford them and replacable dishes if any broken

lynja, Feb 24, 5:41pm
I have found the farmers 'Haven' brand gets VERY hot in the microwave. Worth considering if you want to heat something up on a plate.