What cut is premium (leanest) beef mince made from

jennyfenny1, Feb 25, 2:11am
I have started making my own mince at home and was wondering if as a rule it needs to be made from cuts that don't require long cooking times eg. sirloin or rump! Or can cuts that need long slow cooking like topside or blade be minced and used successfully as regular mince!

davidt4, Feb 25, 2:14am
You can mince any cut of beef.Tenderness is not a worry, flavour is more important., so is freshness.I like brisket, gravy beef, shin and skirt as they have the best flavour, but if you see cheap rump that will make good mince as well.

jennyfenny1, Feb 25, 2:19am
Thanks davidt4! Just the answer i was looking for :)

beaker59, Feb 25, 3:03am
Davidt4 is quite correct. Fat levels are maintained by how much you trim off I sometimes trim heavily then add fat back in to give the right taste and texture you do need some fat believe it or not. I mince allot of wild game like rabbit hare goat pork and venison with most of those I add pork fat otherwise its just too dry.

Any cuts can be minced though I find the middle cuts best the tender fillets etc seem to bruise in the mincer and are better as steaks anyway the skirt and shanks etc are better stewed or casseroled if minced they can be a little grainy though that can give nice texture when blended with finer grained meat like topside etc. So I would say best is topside bolar or Rump.

One tip is to make sure the meat is chilled as cold as possible without freezing when putting it in the mincer which should also be cold.

uli, Feb 25, 4:59am
Personally I am not a fan of "lean" mince. The fat is what gives it flavour in my opinion. So if you are not on a liver disease diet - then add some of the fat on the meat to your mince - it is so much nicer.

wendalls, Feb 26, 5:46am
I got hold of some cheap rump recently and food processed some. Does this mean my cutting blade will blunt and end up useless! It was quite yummy mince even though it was lean.

nauru, Feb 26, 6:07am
I always mince my own, I don't like shop bought mince, way too much fat even in premium mince for our taste.I buy rump steak when it's on speciaI and remove any visible fat before mincing. It never lacks flavour either as it depends what you add to it when cooking.

davidt4, Feb 26, 6:39am
What makes you think that!Have you misread beaker's note "seem to bruise in the mincer" - this means that the fillet seems to get bruised, not that the meat bruises the mincer.