Healthish ways with beef mince?

nets1, May 29, 10:10pm
I have here a pack of premium beef mince, Im after some ideas or different ways to use it in a healtier meal? Or the classics but in a healthy way, Im having a major mind blank. Thanks

lilyfield, May 29, 10:37pm
fry it slowly and drain the fat and you are one step closer to a healthier mince, now add HEAPS of finely cut vegies, stir fry -season and enjoy

n00dle, May 29, 11:30pm
Add tinned tomatoes, grated or finely chopped carrot and zucchini, ground cumin and chilli, and serve on rice.

Or use it raw, make into meatballs with finely diced onion, spices and an egg, brown without adding extra oil, and make a tomato-based sauce.

buzzy110, May 30, 12:17am
How can you possibly make a mince meal that is unhealthy? Mince is a good balance of protein and fat, both of which your body requires. Throwing away the fat is counter productive to health but if it spins your crank to throw it away then do so.

To render a meal from mince unhealthy you need to add unhealthy stuff to it.

nets1, May 31, 11:24am
Oh yes indeed, which is why im asking for ideas on "healthy" things to add, im no chef, nor will I ever be, I have no clue when it comes to cooking.

But thank you for your very very helpful advice!

red-fmb, May 31, 12:13pm
San Choy Bau

google for different recipes...

I love this and I use beef or chicken mince...

bedazzledjewels, May 31, 7:44pm
Mince add veges and herbs - easy.

beastie3, May 31, 8:52pm
omg buzzy have you not cooked mince and had a load of saturated fat to pour off it afterwards?? I don't call that healthy!! And don't be fooled by so-called Premium mince -it can be just as bad!! Safest way is to mince your own then you know whats in it...

beastie3, May 31, 9:09pm
Anyway Nets its now the next morning....how did dinner go??

buzzy110, Jun 2, 11:21am
Saturated fat is not unhealthy. I retain most of what comes out when I'm cooking it. However, sometimes there is too much fat, altering the flavour and texture of the food, in which case I do pour some off and save it for browing other, leaner cuts of meat, and for using, instead of butter, when making roux type sauces. Also there are no additives in our mince, by law.

Oh, and btw, I am neither fat, pimply or unhealthy. Both DH and I are the very picture of good, robust health, because we understand that our evolutionary ancestors did not throw away the fat, they ate it.

kiwibubbles, Jun 2, 11:23am
beef burritos? can add plenty of veggies to that

pickles7, Jun 2, 8:59pm
If "premium mince" had a lot of fat after it was browned, I would set the fat, and return it...I pay a lot more for, premium mince and don't expect a lot of fat in it..I never drain fat from, premium mince.

pheebs1, Jun 2, 10:59pm
i made a great lasagne other night a small pack of mince goes a really long way if you bulk it up with finely grated or processed veges
i put 2 carrots 2 onions and some mushrooms would have useds courgettes but had none
when you process them finely and cook them off adding 2 tines of tomatoes and herbs a splash of red wine and then top up with water simmer slowly to cook veges down i had a huge lot of "meat" sauce to use that i new was loaded with veges my kids may not ordinarily eat
a smooth bechamel sauce with just a little grated cheese at the ende and its fed a family of 5 for 2 nights and will be my lunch today
yum!

i only ever but premium you dont need alot a little can go a really long way!

pheebs1, Jun 2, 11:02pm
make your own burger patties? if your only adding fresh breadcrumbs eggs and herbs in a good wholemeal bun with lots of salad veges surely theres nothing wrong with that?
homemade baked weges to boot
yum
now im hungry is it too early for lasagne?

wildflower, Jun 3, 4:01am
I have no problems with using premium mince.I use it for mince mix etc and nachos which I add red kidney beans, canned tomatoes and chopped capsicums too, can't beat it.Mince mix with curry powder, veg galore etc. Great versatile meat.

marlin9, Jun 4, 3:07am
MY husband has said he would eat Mince every night as he knows it is healthy and not expensive when on a limited income either.

beastie3, Oct 4, 9:20am
YUK!

kuaka, Oct 4, 10:01am
Not expensive!Depends I guess on what you call expensive.Premium mince is usually $18.99kg at Countdown, but occasionally it's as "cheap" as $16.99kg on special.

fisher, Oct 4, 10:26am
Fry up some sliced onions in butter and a little oil until coloured and then push to one side and add some cumin seeds.for 30 secs or so. mix into the onions and then set aside in a bowl. place mince into pan and cook until nicely browned stirring all the time while cooking , adding the onions back in.a tin of drained red kidney beans and a tin of Craigs un drained chilli beans. taste it. season it till how you like it. and add more chilli if you like it hotter. mix all well until nicely combined.
Protein in abundance.:}

elliehen, Oct 4, 11:20am
fisher.you forgot the handful of dirt that Texans throw into their chilli ;)

motorbo, Oct 4, 9:02pm
flippin heck ya at it again.you should become a politician.no on 2nd thoughts i couldnt cope