Butter - Has anybody else noticed how pricey

Page 2 / 2
kuaka, Apr 28, 10:27am
My sister in the UK regularly buys fresh (yes fresh not frozen) legs of NZ lamb cheaper than I can buy them here - it's ridiculous.

tansey, Apr 28, 9:08pm
Wonder if enmass we all should write to these companies and complain. Think it would do any good?

valentino, Apr 28, 9:21pm
Hmmmm, anyone noticing that butter and cheese are of similar pricing... Butter mainly come in 500g packs, 2 of these equals 1kg, the blocks of cheese one looks at mostly is 1kg... ...

Yet, cheese uses more milk than butter so what's up with butter prices... . or should we keep quiet as it could be an excuse for cheese prices to go up again... . Hmmmm

hezwez, Apr 28, 9:23pm
No, they have us by the short and curlies, and they know it. It's a bit like petrol pricing... it's pretty standard however they deny price fixing. The only thing that will lower prices is if they are hit in the pocket by consumers boycotting buying.

holdenss, Apr 28, 9:29pm
Id assume cheese requires a more extensive process(costly) to produce than butter. Funny thing though that last time diary product prices flatuated like this two years ago my supplier was looking to overseas to import, Now how friggin ridiculous is that? NZ businesses using overseas butter and cheese!
Does another recession loom?

holdenss, Apr 28, 9:34pm
Butter If kept well will actually last about a year in the fridge, freezer again as long as you like? Its a Quality thing that will be your choice, always best to judge on look/smell and colour.

tansey, Apr 30, 9:36am
I suspect that maybe sales slowed drastically when cheese went up to round $13-$14 around a year or so ago. Notice pricing has been fairly consistently About $9 since so maybe the boycott idea is the way to go.
I use a lot of putting in a catering business so it's not practical to freeze the quantity I need and if pricing doesn't go down my prices will have to reflect this increase.

tansey, Apr 30, 9:37am
Should read - I use a lot of butter - don't know how that happened! !

st_allie, Apr 30, 10:27am
I paid full price for tararua butter today.

will continue to do so.

all the other nz brands have milk or water added on the label.

need to support the one brand that labels their ingredients 'cream, salt'

beaumonde, May 5, 11:56am
Yes shocked yesterday buying butter, its gone up a lot.

beaumonde, May 5, 12:11pm
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/farming/3627393/Fonterr
a-boosts-payout-to-6-10

tansey, May 6, 4:13am
Business opportunity for an independent dairy factory? Just supplying the local market with butter and cheese?

buckyboy, Apr 5, 4:04am
I can't remember the last time Icooked lamb or mutton. Even a few chops are dear . It is just soooo expensive now. Every week I browse through the butchery section at the supermarket, but it always ends up mince and sausages in the trolly! ! It would be lovely to have an acre of land to be a bit self sufficient.