Edmonds tomato relish recipe, mustard what sort?

Page 1 / 2
dibble35, Feb 22, 4:50am
I've nearly got enough tomatoes to make a double batch,so will make it soon. the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon mustard, would this be mustard powder! wholegrain mustard, or doesnt it matter, TIA

sarahb5, Feb 22, 6:11am
I wouldn't think it matters although I doubt whether it's mustard powder if it just says mustard.

cookessentials, Feb 22, 6:15am
I agree. I would think if it was, they would say mustard powder. I guess if you want something with a bit of zing, you would use a hot English mustard or you could use a nice wholegrain mustard. It didn't say mustrad seeds did it!

gilligee, Feb 22, 6:16am
I have always used mustard powder.

cccc3, Feb 22, 6:19am
I use mustard powder.

sarahb5, Feb 22, 6:21am
good point - I've only made relish once and it used mustard seeds

cookessentials, Feb 22, 6:30am
Well, there you go, I guess it depends on how you interpret the recipe! LOL.

holly-rocks, Feb 22, 6:54am
Ive made this millions of times and always use mustard powder. Just checked my copy it actually says 'dry mustard' =)

trah, Feb 22, 7:16am
Dry mustard powder here too.

veejay13, Feb 22, 7:40am
I have made that recipe this summer - it definitely says "dry mustard" so I used the plain old Colmans in the yellow tin.BTW the relish is delicious!

dibble35, Feb 22, 8:00am
Maybe I had a badly edited book, definatley just said mustard. was the first cookbook I ever bought and it must be 25 years old. I'll go with the mustard powder then, thanks

cookessentials, Feb 22, 8:01am
Let us know how it turns out.

dibble35, Feb 22, 8:04am
Yeah I made it last year but couldnt remember whatmustard I put in it. I only got 3 jars - thats why i'm going to double or triple the batch, and I ate the lot myself as it was so good, i put a bit much chilli in it and it was a spicy little number, but so good. will make it the same this year to, just gotta wait for a few more toms to ripen.

lythande1, Feb 22, 6:22pm
Mustard is made from basically vinegar and ground mustard seed.
Mustard powder is ground mustard seed.
You have vinegar in your relish so it doesn't matter, use the powder, use the completed mustard.same thing.

veejay13, Feb 22, 8:23pm
Seeing you mention chilli, dibble, I now remember that I left that out.I really don't like too much "hot" in my food, but it was still delicious.I did put in the full quantities of mustard and curry powder, though.
My recipe book is a 1998 edition - bigger than the normal Edmonds books. I think it's a compilation of the best or most popular recipes they've printed over the years.

dibble35, Feb 23, 7:51am
Mine was the 25th anniversary edition, and the sticker on front said $7.45, so cheap. I remember I was working at Woolworths at the time and bought it from there. I say cheap but i was probably earning $3 an hour LOL

kiwiscrapper1, Feb 24, 2:20am
my grandmother always made the best relish and it has mustard powder, then I was reading the edmonds book and it was the same recipe!I always thought it was an old family recipe :-) My older book, which is imperial measurement, has powder but these days there are so many varieties I suppose its your choice. I love grainy mustard and add to lots of things like cheese sauce, mashed potatoes pasta dishes.

nauru, Feb 24, 2:40am
My book (1987 edition) must be the same edition as yours dibble as it too says mustard, not dry mustard, a bit confusing, I know.Having said that, I have made this recipe (I didn't add chillies) and others and I've always used mustard powder.

coralsnake, Feb 24, 9:44am
From memory having been making relish for way too many years [c.1960's], I can't remember back then and for many years later, anything other than Coleman's mustard powder being available.Perhaps it's why the book states just mustard!
I still use said mustard powder!

punkinthefirst, Feb 24, 10:01am
Once upon a time "mustard" meant dry mustard powder - we couldn't get all the different versions we get these days - so go with that.

letitia, Feb 24, 1:47pm
My mother always used that recipe from the mid-1940s.She always used Coleman's powdered mustard.When I began making my own relish, I used the same.But often I have left the mustard out because I didn't have any and the relish was still good.I have also used the 'wet' mustard mixture in jars with a good result.

kamitchell, Feb 26, 8:42am
My edmonds book says dry mustard

dibble35, Mar 1, 7:43am
well I made it today, 7 big jars (double recipe) of tom relish lined up in the pantry. This time I gave it a bit of a blitz with the stick mixer as I hadnt cut the onion up small enough and it was super chumky. It looks and tastes great, a bit spicy but I like it like that. Got a couple of chillis out of the vege garden but wasnt sure how hot they were so tried a little bit.WOW, tongue and lips were burning for awhile afterwards, thanks goodness I didnt rub my eye or anything stupid like that. Was so satisfying hearing the jar lids 'popping' down as i worked in the garden.

elliehen, Mar 1, 8:49am
Well done!That Edmonds recipe is a real keeper.We like it hot so I always put in six dried chili peppers instead of the three in the original recipe.It's tasty with cheese and crackers.

dibble35, Mar 2, 12:12am
Yeah, I was going to have relish and cheese on toast for brunch this morn but the bread had gone mouldy, had to have cereal. maybe for breakfast tomorrow