Thawing frozen chicken

raewyn64, Apr 26, 10:35pm
I have a frozen size 16 chicken in my freezer. I want to cook it in my crock pot so need it well thawed before cooking it.
If I transfer it to my fridge to thaw out it will take at least 2 - 3 days as my freezer freezes very solid.
If it takes this long to thaw out is it going to be ok to cook? I bought it from the supermarket unfrozen and put it straight in the freezer when I got home (about 3 weeks ago).
Or is there a faster (and still safe) way for me to thaw it out?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

angie117, Apr 26, 10:43pm
I usually take a chicken out of the freezer just before I am going to bed at night and leave on bench, and put it back in fridge first thing in the morning and its all thawed. I then cook it that night.

turn_out, Apr 26, 10:43pm
Why cannot you cook it from frozen? I do all the time with roast lamb and mutton, but not in a crockpot though.

turn_out, Apr 26, 10:51pm
Chickens are the most 'dodgiest' of all meats to thaw; so prone to Salmonella etc. Do not thaw outside the fridge, but you can defrost in the microwave but you must cook it straight away. You can defrost in cold water in its bag, but make sure its submerged and change water every 30 minutes to be sure it stays cold.
Do not cook frozen chicken in the microwave or in a slow cooker. However, chicken can be cooked from the frozen state in the oven or on the stove. The cooking time may be about 50% longer.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 11:08pm
same as ange

susan21, Apr 26, 11:55pm
I thaw mine overnight as Angie 117 does. Have never had a problem.

red2, Apr 27, 12:09am
I thaw it overnight in the sink then place in the crockpot in the morning

doug57, Apr 27, 4:54am
This is what I do as well

sue1955, Apr 27, 5:36am
I put anything I need to thaw out overnight in the microwave. That way, the cat can't get it!

deus701, Apr 27, 5:46am
I would do the same as angie. . but there would be people bursting a blood vessel if you do that. The generally accepted rule is as turn_out described.

Well, just make sure you cook the chicken properly and you'll be fine.

missmuppett, Apr 27, 6:11am
I do what Angie does. Haven't been poisoned yet :)

raewyn64, Apr 27, 6:53am
Thanks everyone.
I see most of you do what I had thought to do but was a bit unsure of - but as you are all still here nice and healthy :) I think I will probably go with the overnight in the sink method too.

margyr, Mar 9, 12:46pm
as long as it is well cooked you will be fine.