How to tart up frozen vegetables?

chchpukeko, May 22, 6:50am
I'm a very lazy cook and mostly use frozen vegetables, generally cooked in the microwave. Usually it will be a vegetable mix such as stirfry veg.
What I was wondering was if anyone has any tips on making them more interesting - preferably something easy...

speckle77, May 22, 6:59am
cheese sauce,
variation of white sauce to suit your taste,
put them in a fritata (sp) type thing,
quiche,
vege casserole,
vege fried rice...

lythande1, May 22, 8:10pm
Just stop being lazy and use something other than just that.

norse_westie, May 22, 9:05pm
Mix them up with some couscous and some spices. Great to eat hot or cold.
Throw them in with a curry or casserole.

norse_westie, May 22, 9:06pm
Actually for one person they work out very economical, and in winter even more so. I have a big family and in winter those premixed frozen vegies are a staple as they are better quality, and much cheaper than buying "fresh".

chchpukeko, May 23, 6:50am
I'm a very lazy cook and mostly use frozen vegetables, generally cooked in the microwave. Usually it will be a vegetable mix such as stirfry veg.
What I was wondering was if anyone has any tips on making them more interesting - preferably something easy.

speckle77, May 23, 6:59am
cheese sauce,
variation of white sauce to suit your taste,
put them in a fritata (sp) type thing,
quiche,
vege casserole,
vege fried rice.

chchpukeko, May 28, 6:42am
Thanks norse.It is also economical if you are a couple like us who work very long hours, live out of town and don't get much opportunity to go shopping.
In addition, they have been shown to have similar nutritional value as fresh vegetables.And I'd prefer some ideas rather than criticism of my eating habits.At least I'm eating vegetables!

I was wondering about things like honey glazing or adding slithered almonds or balsamic vinegar etc.(preferably gluten free ideas please)

gardie, May 28, 6:55am
I too use those stir fry mixes.I think you might find that they are in fact more nutritional than some fresh veggies, especially those that have been sitting around in the supermarket for a couple of days.I often use them as the base but throw in some chopped up broccolli or other vege that I have in the fridge.Its nice with leaks (which keep really well) and also sliced cabbage added just before they are cooked.I always add crushed garlic and smoked garlic salt and freshly ground pepper.A sprinkle with olive oil or soya sauce (tamari) after cooking adds extra flavour.I also like to put a mix of seeds over mine sometimes (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, ground linseed).Nice texture.

neon2k, May 28, 7:05am
I give them a squirt of mint sauce - yum

winnie231, May 28, 7:06am
chchpukeko - just ignore the negative comments!
Frozen veg are great & as a single person I use them alot. My suggestion would be to use a frypan or wok a bit more ... just about as quick as the microwave but alot tastier & it opens up a whole world of possibilities :)
Stirfry then add some asian-style noodles or rice (I cook this in bulk then freeze in meal size amounts - spread out in a med or lrg ziplock bag as thin as poss ... you can then stirfry it from froz), and/or meat, eggs, tinned fish & whatever sauce you like (soy, fish, sweet chilli, satay, teriaki, ...) and your meal is done. I also like to add finely shredded cabbage - green and/or red a few mins before searving ... it's a cheap veg, it keeps well & adds crunch & goodness.

winnie231, May 28, 7:14am
Not a gourmet suggestion - but I also like zapping basic mixed veg (peas, carrots, corn & beans), stirring through a knob of garlic butter, a couple of grinds of pepper & eating just like that!

ksr, May 28, 7:19am
There is a Japanese sesame dressing available at the supermarket that tastes YUM on green veges.I think it is called "some"will double check and see if I can find a link.

ksr, May 28, 7:24am

chchpukeko, May 28, 8:41am
Awesome suggestions everyone.Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

tigerlilly16, May 28, 9:27am
This is a simple asian inspired sauce which I make and have with vegetables and rice, if I'm having them on the side of say chinese drumsticks or spare ribs or you could use the ingredients to flavour a stirfry with the veges and meat in one dish - it is actually really nice just on rice by itself.

about an inch of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped, one or 2 cloves of garlic crushed or chopped - fry these lightly in a T of oil in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes, then add I cup of hot water with one chicken oxo cube dissolved in (or a teaspoon of chicken stock powder), bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and add a glug of soy sauce (use gluten free one or tamari) and then thicken using a T of cornflour dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold water (some cornflours are gluten free but you have to check packaging, or use arrowroot powder)
stir until the sauce thickens and 'clears'
taste and adjust with more soy or more water
I often miss out the frying stage and just simmer the ginger and garlic in the stock and soy sauce.
to this basic mixture you can add a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar if you like more of a sweet/sour taste, I like to add a finely chopped spring onion and stir through just before serving

suie1, May 28, 9:34am
Don't feel guilty about frozen veg, by the time we get fresh veg from the shop to table they have lost most nutrients, not so with frozen as they are locked in.

tigerlilly16, May 28, 9:47am
Edit to add : I just checked the chicken oxo pack and it does not say gluten free, so you would need to make sure whatever stock you use is, or just miss that out :)

chchpukeko, May 29, 6:42am
Thanks norse.It is also economical if you are a couple like us who work very long hours, live out of town and don't get much opportunity to go shopping.
In addition, they have been shown to have similar nutritional value as fresh vegetables.And I'd prefer some ideas rather than criticism of my eating habits.At least I'm eating vegetables!

I was wondering about things like honey glazing or adding slithered almonds or balsamic vinegar etc.(preferably gluten free ideas please)

winnie231, May 29, 7:06am
chchpukeko - just ignore the negative comments!
Frozen veg are great & as a single person I use them alot. My suggestion would be to use a frypan or wok a bit more . just about as quick as the microwave but alot tastier & it opens up a whole world of possibilities :)
Stirfry then add some asian-style noodles or rice (I cook this in bulk then freeze in meal size amounts - spread out in a med or lrg ziplock bag as thin as poss . you can then stirfry it from froz), and/or meat, eggs, tinned fish & whatever sauce you like (soy, fish, sweet chilli, satay, teriaki, .) and your meal is done. I also like to add finely shredded cabbage - green and/or red a few mins before searving . it's a cheap veg, it keeps well & adds crunch & goodness.

tigerlilly16, May 29, 9:27am
This is a simple asian inspired sauce which I make and have with vegetables and rice, if I'm having them on the side of say chinese drumsticks or spare ribs or you could use the ingredients to flavour a stirfry with the veges and meat in one dish - it is actually really nice just on rice by itself.

about an inch of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped, one or 2 cloves of garlic crushed or chopped - fry these lightly in a T of oil in a small saucepan for a couple of minutes, then add I cup of hot water with one chicken oxo cube dissolved in (or a teaspoon of chicken stock powder), bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and add a glug of soy sauce (use gluten free one or tamari) and then thicken using a T of cornflour dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold water (some cornflours are gluten free but you have to check packaging, or use arrowroot powder)
stir until the sauce thickens and 'clears'
taste and adjust with more soy or more water
I often miss out the frying stage and just simmer the ginger and garlic in the stock and soy sauce.
to this basic mixture you can add a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar if you like more of a sweet/sour taste, I like to add a finely chopped spring onion and stir through just before serving

suie1, May 29, 9:34am
Don't feel guilty about frozen veg, by the time we get fresh veg from the shop to table they have lost most nutrients, not so with frozen as they are locked in.