Baking recipes - to post to poor/homesick students

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Mar 15, 10:25pm
TARARUA BISCUITS
From 'Backpackers Banquet', published by the Kaimai branch of the Native Forests Action Council

1 cup flour
1/2 cup bran
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
110 grams butter
1 Tbs golden syrup
1 Tbs honey
1 egg

Melt butter, golden syrup, honey and brown sugar together.Cool.Add beaten egg and dry ingredients.Mix together.Roll out and cut into rounds, approx 10mm thick OR press into sponge roll tin.Bake at 160*C for 20 minutes.Cut into squares while warm.

Note in the book says: These sturdy biscuits will keep indefinitely - they taste better with a smear of butter or peanut butter or honey.They will also be a hit with your dog!

daleaway, Mar 16, 12:24am
Why not send her one of those "ingredient packs" gifts for a single cake or biscuit cooking session, to get her started on her own baking, then follow up with a beginner's cookbook or one of the Food For Flatters cookbooks.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 16, 1:07am
I would but she's at a hostel and they're not able to do baking - so she is missing it. She is actually a better cook than most adults :)

indy95, Mar 16, 2:51am
Thank you for the recipe, elliehen, it sounds good. I can imagine the biscuits would be popular with dogs although in this household the poor thing wouldprobably be reduced to scavenging for crumbs.

donnabeth, Mar 16, 8:39pm
Off topic a bit here, but I copied my friend's idea, which could work for you for a special treat.

We gathered the old familiar tried and true recipes from family and friends and printed them out on A4 sheets and put them in a clearfile.The titles all included the name of the person whose specialty it was. Naturally, most recipes began with 'Nana's.', but when they were homesick, they enjoyed just flicking through the books and remembering the get togethers where we each took our food with pride.

jenny253, Mar 17, 9:03am
Not baking but check out Grab One daily specials or Treat me daily deals in their area and "gift" them a voucher for coffee, pizzas, or fresh fruit delivery etc.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 17, 9:49pm
That's such a good idea, will definitely keep an eye out. I like the recipe book idea too :)

elliehen, Mar 23, 9:07am
Bumping for artkat