Freezing stir fry vegetable mix?

Page 2 / 2
uli, Feb 7, 10:26pm
I could have helped you out and yes I seem to know a lot about most things LOL
- however since you are a stickler for getting "nice" answers and me being called "rude" on here - I didn't.

I would have never said it as politely as davidt4 did in the end (this being a soggy mess after thawing and best used in a soup rather than a stir fry).

What I do with my surplus is feed it to the kunes then eat the bacon later. and yes I realize not everybody can have a few kunes in the backyard.

gilligee, Feb 7, 10:27pm
No. What is the flavour! I have several bolted lettuces.

davidt4, Feb 7, 10:34pm
Lettuce sap contains a non-narcotic soporific.I think you would probably have to eat rather a lot to get stoned on it though.

samanya, Feb 8, 2:02am
Thanks for your input, most helpful.
It would be even more helpful if I had a couple of pigs, but I choose not to.
I simply asked because frozen stir fry mixtures are sold & someone must buy them.but not me!

uli, Feb 8, 2:50am
I guess so too - but it sounds nice doesn't it - getting high on bolted lettuce - although that invokes altogether other ideas as well .

uli, Feb 8, 3:00am
And they are not frozen all together either.

Some are done in China (broccoli and cauli) because NZ labour costs are too high now to be "competitive" and those veges are one of the things that still needs manual handling.

Which is the reason that all frozen veges now have a label "from imported and local ingredients" - which gives the big companies like Watties the opportunity to buy the cheapest options at the time.

Then the other "ingredients" are added later - so you have no idea as to how much or how little they were cooked/blanched etc.

I would not try to "create" a mix - just freeze whatever you would use later in a soup or stew. There is no way that a stir-fry would taste like a stir-fry if you had frozen the ingredients before.

Of course - I am a stickler for a fresh crisp stir fry (and so might be davidt4 be from her post above) - however if you like limp soggy veges in a stir fry then you might be alright with your freezing ideas.

uli, Feb 8, 3:02am
Here it is "the perfect stir fry" from yesterdays newspaper:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/8270670/Tips-for-a-top-stir-fry

Make sure you read all the details like: "Tan says he would never dream of using a non-stick wok, preferring a round-based cast iron or carbon steel wok, which he seasons before use."

There is lots of info in there - print it out and keep it for further reference.

Good luck!

samanya, Feb 8, 3:27am
I did say that I'd steamed them in stages, dense veges first etc.
I like fresh crisp as well, most people who appreciate quality vegetables do (even in NZ) .that is why I asked & that is why I have only frozen 2 packets .it was an experiment, OK!
Thank you for the link, interesting read.

uli, Feb 8, 3:35am
Why not defrost one of those packs tonight or tomorrow and check it out if you like it!

Nothing better than to do your own experiment - maybe you are thoroughly happy with the result - how could we know - hundreds of kilometers away!

samanya, Feb 8, 5:14am
What has distance got to do with anything!
We have the internet, don't we!
I will try one of the frozen packets in the next few days . & see if it works to my satisfaction & let you know.
I'm one of those who hate overcooked veges & I'm confident that they weren't overdone before they were frozen & equally as confident that I won't overcook them when I try them.
As I said ^^^ there somewhere, I usually only use super fresh veges from my own garden.
I'm an experienced enough cook to be able to wander around my garden & pick what's ready & within a short time have a meal on the table.
Great isn't it!

patxyz, Feb 8, 5:28am
Poor mans "flash freeze" them.

Not doubt the resident know-it-all will have something to say but.

A 'pre frozen' baking tray in the freezer layered with your vege then bagged.
Or
a container of 'salt saturated' brineand place your bagged veges in it.

samanya, Feb 8, 5:34am
Hey you . thanks