Sick of wasting ingreds on CRAP chutney recipes!

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, Feb 8, 12:02am
I just hope I can get some this year. I missed them last year, the lady I bought some off the year before last, did not list any.

uli, Feb 8, 3:03am
I will have plenty pickles - so if you are keen to pay something for the courier you can have loads :)

Maybe I get a bottle of vinegar in return a few years later!

patsy3, Feb 8, 5:48am
a few years ago there was a freight company that did a 'special' on boxes of fruit. Sorry can't remember which one. Maybe mainfreight or fastways. Were sending boxes of fejoas to Sth Island quite cheap. Maybe ring around.

lindylambchops1, Feb 8, 8:11am
Bring out the Branston Pickle!

gardie, Feb 9, 3:08am
I made a double batch of piccalilli from the "ladies a plate" book.It was awful!I did pop it in the cupboard just in case however 6 weeks later, it was no better so the whole batch got dumped.I know just how OP feels.

pickles7, Feb 20, 9:13pm
I will send you a bottle of feijoa vinegar and you will deny the pigs this year. lol.I am sure I will find some locally, but thank you.

uli, Feb 20, 10:59pm
Looks pretty grim with feijoas this year pickles - while we usually harvest about 150 buckets in a season (from 3 trees LOL) - it looks very bare now because of the ongoing drought. There were lots of lovely little feijoas earlier, but I guess the trees now have dropped a lot :( because of the dry.
Will definitely let you know if there are any which amount to a decent size.

pickles7, Feb 20, 11:28pm
Way too far to send from where you are. I will find some near Hastings. I was thinking along the lines of yourself brewing Feijoa vinegar. It would be the nicest vinegar I have made to date, as far as fruity flavour goes. Your pigs won't mind being denied feijoas for one season.
We used to breed rabbits for meat and if you feed them apples a few days prior to slaughter the meat is divine. We made rabbit pies in our bakery, the older and the younger folk wouldn't eat them, the middle just loved them. The "cute little bunnies" and war time tucker, being the problem.
We never had enough apples to see if it would have done the same to the pork.

04redsox, Feb 21, 12:33am
Great book- this is what I suggest, too!

pickles7, Feb 21, 2:45am
I never bottle anything untill the flavours are right, I never start without pen and paper, just in case I want to make something again. .I just had a look through a "preserved foods" book put out by a N.Z. cook, what a joke. The photo's all look nice, near $40.00 of rubbish, the recipe's can be found anywhere on line.

uli, Feb 21, 7:09am
Well I feed my kunes on apples and feijoas before winter and they are very nice once in the deep freeze.

When I raised rabbits I used to feed them on herbs (rather than apples) the last 4 weeks - thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary . unbelievable! Try it if you have the chance!

duckmoon, Feb 22, 12:06am
Chutney never taste best after it has been cooked

It might be worth bottling them, and trying in six weeks

ry5, Feb 23, 2:58am
Like the OP, I too have wasted kilos of my tomatoes on crappy recipes.I was given this recipe by a friend, that was passed down to her by her grandmother for tomato sauce and I swear, I will never buy tom sauce from the supermarket ever again or make chutney that nobody eats!

5.4 kg ripe tomatoes (approx 12 lbs)
85g salt (approx 3 oz)
1.4 kg sugar -- or adjust to your own taste (approx 3 lbs)
85g whole allspice or 40g ground allspice (approx 3 oz or 1.5 oz respectively)
860 ml malt vinegar
(the metric amounts have been converted from old imperial measurements as near as possible)

Wash & cut tomatoes, tie whole spice in a muslin bag or for a more tangy sauce with a bit more warmth add the ground spice as is.Combine all ingredients & boil for 3 hours, stirring frequently.When cooked strain through a colander or,as I prefer, pulse with a stick blender. Bottle when cold.

cameron-albany, Feb 23, 3:57am
thanks all - just an update, I bought some organic malt vinegar and made the kasundi again and it is LOVELY.I've since made another batch and will be making some chutney tonight.

When comparing the organic vinegar to the 'usual' stuff.OMG the difference in colour and smell alone makes you realise how bad the mass-produced stuff is.And considering it's such a vital ingredient of preserves, it makes sense to buy (or make) the best.

Also interesting reading your comments above re: sugar - I'm always too wary to reduce it by too much, but I HATE overly-sweet chutneys so I'm going to be a bit bolder in this next one tonight and reduce the amount by quite a bit and see how it goes.

uli, Feb 23, 6:08am
You can always try it before bottling - the full spicey flavours won't settle until a few weeks later but you can still discern if it is too vinegary or not sweet enough.

pickles7, Feb 24, 9:41pm
So,,,, you stuffed your rabbits.lol.

uli, Feb 25, 4:43am
Or nearly so LOL

rchelley, Mar 1, 10:36pm
I made this one this morning: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/beechworth-tomato-relish-L7761.html

But used apple cider vinegar instead of malt.Its quite good although a bit sweet so definitely use less sugar.