Cost of home made jam

Page 2 / 2
04redsox, Feb 6, 4:37am
Thank you! I've been bottling/making jam for over 20 years, and still sometimes miss the setting point. Now i will use your trick, as i already have the thermometer. Great to learn something new!

duckmoon, Feb 6, 8:47am
Because you don't boil it for longer than necessary. Therefore less evaporation, leaving you with more jam

duckmoon, Feb 6, 8:48am
No, the candy thermometer means you have reach "setting point" - so the jam isn't thin/water

04redsox, Feb 15, 10:10pm
UPDATE: I just made a batch of apricot jam, using the temperature as a guideline. Aiming for 105 C/220 F.

But the jam was set before I barely got to 100 C .WHY!

I am 700m (2300 feet) above sea level! Google search showed me I need to drop 2 F for every 1000 feet above sea level. So my set temp is more like 215 F or just 100C

Just sharing what I found out; it may help others, too!

punkinthefirst, Feb 16, 9:25am
Raspberries are quite strongly flavoured, so you could extend them a bit by adding up to half as much apple pulp and sugar to match. Very few will ever notice.

cookessentials, Feb 19, 1:59am
That is really interesting! As for the cost of home made jam, I have never really worked it out, I just like the fact that it is made at home, without any added preservatives etc.which is more than enough for me.

04redsox, Feb 19, 7:33am
Same here. I like making jams and pickles, and my friends and family really seem to appreciate home-made preserves.

cookessentials, Feb 19, 8:03am
I have never used a jam thermometer in my life ( and dont intend to start!) I have never had a failure yet. I always put a little on a saucer and let it sit a little while and then draw a spoon through it, if it is firm enough, that's it. I ALWAYSuse caster sugar because A: It dissolves quickly and B: It makes for a very crisp,"clear" colour. It is often used for A&P jam making competitions.