Recipe for lemon drink

robbief, Jan 30, 8:11am
anyone got a good easy recipe for a lemon drink its hot and we have lots of lemons be nice to make a drink up

245sam, Jan 30, 8:46am
From the former Trademe Cooks.

Homemade lemonade
4 medium/560g lemons, 4 cups/880g caster sugar, 2 cups/500ml water, 5 litres/20 cups mineral water. Remove rind from lemons using a vegetable peeler avoiding the white pith,reserve lemons, combine rind, sugar and the water in a large saucepan, stir over low heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved, bring to boil, simmer uncovered without stirring about 10 mins or till syrup is thickened slightly, cool. Squeeze juice from lemons, you will need 1 cup/250ml of lemon juice, add juice to syrup, strain into a jug, cover, keep refrigerated, just before serving add 4 parts mineral water to 1 part lemonade, or to taste. Makes 6.25 litres/25 cups diluted lemonade, or 1.25 litres/5 cups undiluted. 70 cals per 250ml serve. (while the book doesn't suggest it, I have to wonder what sparkling mineral water would be like with this, since I have a lemon tree I'm sure to find out !)
posted by fetish

Lemon cordial
6 lemons 1 1/2 kilos sugar 50 grams citric acid 3 litres water METHOD Peel the rind of two lemons - use a potato peeler and make sure you just get the yellow rind and no white pith. Place the rind and two cups of the sugar in a food processor. Run the machine until the rind is really ground up - the sugar will become yellow and oily looking. Squeeze the juice from all 6 lemons into a large saucepan. Add the lemon sugar mixture plus the remaining sugar and citric acid. Add 3 litres of water and stir to dissolve sugar over low heat. Cool Pour into clean bottles and store in the fridge. Dilute with water to taste. This is yummy on a hot summers day for adult or child. To make alcoholic, add vodka & lemonade and you have the perfect refreshing summer drink! Similar product is sold thru Kirkcaldies for approx $29/bottle, made in Featherstone. This is not their recipe, its one that I got from an elderly lady I knew many, many years ago and has never failed to please.
posted by fred75

Lemon Drink:
In a 1.5 litre fizzy bottle, place 1 cup sugar and the juice of one or two lemon's. Half fill the bottle with water, place the lid on and shake well until the sugar is dissolved. Fill to the top with water. and it's ready. So easy.A variation for Gingerbeer . Once you've made the lemon drink, add 6 raisins or sultanas and 1 tsp ground ginger to each bottle. Cap on firmly, and leave in a warmish place until the bottle feels tight. Chill. and enjoy
posted by juliewn

HOMEMADE LEMONADE
Place 1 cup of sugar in a 1.5 litre fizzy bottle Add the juice of 1 or two lemons. Half fill the bottle with cold water, lid on and shake till the sugar is dissolved. Fill to the top with cold water and chill.Made into sparkling lemonade by adding 6 sultanas to the bottle once it's made. Place the lid on tightly and leave in a warm place till the sides of the bottle are tight with pressure. Chill ginger beer same, plus add 1 tsp ground ginger to the mix in the bottle - leave till tight. chill.
posted by pam.delilah

Old-fashioned lemonade
3 or 4 lemons, 675 grms sugar, 28 grms citric acid, 900 mls boiling water, 28 grms tartaric acid Grate lemons into a large bowl or remove peel (not pith) with a peeling and put that in the bowl. Add juice, acids and sugar. Pour on boiling water and leave over night. Strain and bottle. Use a very small amount in a glass of iced water or soda water.
posted by greerg

245sam, Jan 30, 8:47am
continued from #2

CLASSIC LEMON CORDIAL
3 large lemons; 2 cups sugar; 3 cups boiling water; 2 tsp tartaric acid; 2 tsp citric acid; 2 tsp Epsom salts Grate the lemons and put the zest in a large bowl. Squeeze and strain the lemon juice, then add to the bowl, along with the sugar and boiling water. Add the tartaric acid, citric acid and Epsom salts. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Store in bottles in a cool place. Dilute with water to drink.

CITY MISSION LEMON CORDIAL
2-3 large lemons; 2 cups sugar; 2 cups boiling water; 1 tsp tartaric acid; 1/2 tsp Epsom salts Carefully pare the rind from the lemons with a potato peeler. Put the sugar and rind into a food processor and blend until you have yellow sugar. Place this mixture into a large bowl and add half the boiling water, stirring to ensure that the sugar is dissolved. Squeeze the lemon juice and add to the sugar mixture along with the rest of the boiling water, the tartaric acid and the Epsom salts. Strain into bottles and seal. Store in the refrigerator. Dilute with water to drink.
above 2 both posted by bradfam

OLD FASHIONED LEMON DRINK:
1.5 kg sugar;6 lemons (I sometimes use a couple more) 50g citric acid;boiling water.Peel the rind of two of the lemons leaving off the pith. Place peel & two cups of the sugar into food processor and whizz until sugar is yellow and oily.Squeeze all six lemons and mix with sugar/lemon,citric acid.Add boiling water to make up to 3 litres,stir till sugar dissolves.Cool and store in fridge.This is a concentrate -so mix with either water or sparkling mineral water and ice.NOTE: I do this to MY taste and add more rind and juice if necessary.
posted by brianmac

Ginger Beer or lemonade
this doesn't have a bug - however it makes delicious ginger beer in just a few days: In a 1.5 litre fizzy bottle, place 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp ground ginger and the juice of a lemon. Half fill the bottle with water, place the lid on and shake well until the sugar is dissolved. Fill to the top with water. Add 6 sultanas or raisins, place the lid on and leave in a warm area for 3-5 days, or till the bottle feels tight with the pressure. Chill well and it's ready. So easy - and you can make a few bottles at a time. For lemonade, omit the ginger and process as above.you enjoy it.
posted by juliewn

245sam, Jan 30, 8:50am
continued from #3

Lemon Drink
4 lemons (or 3 lemons and 1 orange) 6 cups sugar, 25g tartaric acid (2 dsp). Squeeze juice into a large bowl. Cut up rinds (exclude pith if too thick) and add to juice. (I actually cut up lemons and add half a cup of water and pulverise in the food processor.) Add 7 cups of cold water and leave overnight. Strain and add sugar and tartaric acid. Stir well and bottle. Enjoy!
posted by grandma

Homemade Lemonade Syrup
This is my version - 6-8 lemons juiced, 3 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon citric acid. Grate rind of 1-2 lemons. Put all ingredients into a jug and fill with boiling water to measure up to 1.5 litres. Stir until dissolved. To serve, dilute with water to your taste. My kids make this most christmas' for their teachers or sell bottles to the neighbours. They put their own labels on it-buy a nice bottle to put it in or recycle your own bottlesGreat cheap pressies
posted by risey

Lemon & Barley Water
1 cup pearl barley, 3 litres water, 4 lemon's, 4 cups sugar. Place the barley in a saucepan with the water. Finely peel the skin from the lemons with a vege peeler, and add to the barley mix. Bring to a boil and simmer for one hour. Strain through a sieve. Return the liquid to the pot, and add the sugar and the juice from the lemons. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Cool and place into a bottle (a 3 litre juice bottle is fine) and chill. To use, pour some into a glass, and add water, soda water or lemonade to your taste. and enjoy.
posted by juliewn

TOP TIP: lemon syrup . bring to boil 1 cup sugar and around about 250mls water.Add 1 small cup lemon juice while hot. To Use add little in glass of water.Keeps well in fridge.
posted by norma2

245sam, Jan 30, 8:52am
continued from#4

Lemon Squash
8 large lemons,2 cups cold water, Sugar (see below),15gms citric acid Pare the rind from 4 of the lemons. Place in food processor/blender, and then peel all the lemons, discarding the white pith. Cut up flesh, removing pips. Place fruit flesh in blender with rind and water and work until very smooth. Strain if liked. Measure the juice and add 1-cup sugar to each cup of juice. Stir until sugar dissolved, then add citric acid. Pour into hot sterilised bottles. Dilute as desired with cold water, mineral water, soda water or tonic. Note: can make orange squash same way using 4 large oranges.
posted by bernice1

We like this.
My kids and I like this. Get about 5 or 6 herbal tea bags. (the ones that are fruit flavoured are the best, like peach,blackcurrent etc) Cover them with boiling water in a jug or container so that they can steep until the water gets cold. Then put a cup of sugar or 1/2 cup honey in a saucepan aling with 1 tspn citric acid then pour over the liguid from the tea bags. Make up the liquid to about 2 cups and heat until the sugar/honey is dissolved. Cool then pour into an empty soft drink bottle or glass bottle. Dilute to taste in water. This is nice hot or cold. I sometimes double the mix and it makes a bigger amount for the bottle.You will get to know how much suger/acid etc that you like, less is better to start with.
posted by mumstu

yummy lemon drink
and healthy if you have access to lemons here is a yummy recepe for a drink. from my 99 year old Aunty. Cut up small 3 to 5 lemons depending on size and add to pot 1 cup water per lemon. Boil all together a until soft and mushy tip juice through a seive and the put lemon skin and all in seive and push all as much as you can through seive with the back of a spoon into the juice scraping all of base of seive as much as you can get out of the lemon. Put all back into the pot and add honey dessert spoons per how many lemons good sized. reheat to melt honey . let cool and put in a jug or a bottle . put syrup into a glass to your taste and add lemonade. or water. It is so yummy with lemonade and ona hot day. it is a hit. the whole lemon rather than the juice s so good for you. You wont be disappointed.
posted by ratu_marika

Lemon Barley Water
Makes 1.35 litres Takes 10 minutes to make, plus cooling 2 organic unwaxed lemons 50g caster suger 125g pearl barley 1. Finely grate the zest from the lemons and place in a large glass bowl with caster sugar. Rinse pearl barley and add to the bowl with 1.2 litres boiling water. Stir well and leave to cool. 2. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and mix into the cooled barley water. Strain through a sieve and chill. This is drunk as is, not diluted.
posted by cookessentials

Hope there's something there to quench your thirsts robbief, as well as make use of your lemon abundance.:-))

robbief, Jan 31, 2:15am
Thank you, .gosh plenty there to choose from, Once again THANKS