Eyelevel or standalone oven

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 13, 2:51am
what would be the preference, I love the look of 'stand alone' but are they easy to clean and as Im getting older harder to bend down and get heavy dishes out of the oven! I have eye level at the moment but building a new house and have decide what I want in the kitchen.

pickles7, Jan 13, 3:30am
Eyelevel, they are so much easier to look after.

elsielaurie1, Jan 13, 7:17am
Totally agree,much easier to remove food from and to see what's going on inside.I miss mine.

kuaka, Jan 13, 7:42am
But beware, what is eyelevel for someone who is 6ft won't be eyelevel for someone who is 5ft.

nzhel, Jan 13, 7:43am
Definitely eyelevel - no bending and easier to keep an eye on whats cooking in the oven.

carter19, Jan 14, 3:25am
I have an eye level pyrolitic oven. More expensive but never have to clean it. It heats to 500 and turns the muck to ash which is left on the bottom to wipe out. My mother is really jealous as she still has an underbench over that has to be cleaned. Best ever decision to get a pyrolytic oven. It is not the same as the old self cleaning types with the side things in, it really does clean the whole oven

030303, Jan 15, 12:47pm
Eye level pyrolitic definitely it really does self clean.Would never be without it.

nfh1, Jan 15, 7:56pm
Eye level, I would never go back to free standing and the other thing I always have is a separate grill.We once had an oven with the grill inside - dreadful thing.

kiwitrish, Jan 15, 8:15pm
Always had an eye level until we moved to this house.Free standing now.Great stove but what I call a back breaker.Really miss my eye level.

cgvl, Jan 15, 10:17pm
eye level for me too and a double oven so you can have a separate grill.
We have a free standing with separate grill and I couldn't live without the grill now but its hell on wheels to clean the main oven, as my knees have gone so can't get down on hands and knees, have to get DH to wipe it out for me.

voyager4, Jan 15, 10:53pm
I've been watching the best baker on Prime, final tonight.They have underbench ovens, but the door opens out then slides back in under the unit.That would be fantastic at eye level, if it were available here.I haven't checked, but think it may be SMEG like the fridges used.
My current one is eye level with the door opening upwards.Is an older one, but is wider and larger than those available now.

dezzie, Jan 15, 11:02pm
I've been watching best baker as well and like how the doors slide under, seems very effortless.
We recently redid the kitchen and I thought hard about an eye level oven, but I'm short and I worried about reaching over the door to get at the oven, so we ended up with a standalone instead, I'm happy with it tho.

rarogal, Jan 17, 2:02am
Have definitely gone for eye level as I've got older, so much easier on the back for cleaning and removing heavy dishes!

cookessentials, Jan 17, 2:37am
Eye level or a bit lower for me, depending on whether I could have my "ultimate" oven which wold be stand alone AGA four oven in cream.sigh

kuaka, Jan 17, 9:45am
I have two wall ovens, small one on top, larger one below.They both have doors which open downwards.Trouble is being only 5ft tall, I have trouble putting stuff in and taking it out of the smaller top oven because the door gets in the way.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 17, 8:53pm
hate it when hubby goes on tm and doesnt log out!
Thankyou all, I think it will be the eye level double oven which is what I have now and the doors are easy to get off and clean. I was also thinking if you have heavy dishes too getting them out of a stand alone is harder as I get older :-) Hopefully its cheaper too!