Gluten free muesli

dawnay, Jan 23, 1:12am
Does anyone make their own!I need something different for breakfast, than gluten free toast every day!I have rice flakes and quinoa flakes, as well as the extras like dried fruit, seeds, and nuts, but dont know what else to put in to bulk it up a bit.I also want to keep the price down.Thanks

elsielaurie1, Jan 23, 2:09am
I use 1/4 India Gate Brown Balsamic Rice, washed and simmered in 1 cup of water for 25mins. Cool, then add 1/4 rice milk, 30g dried apricots, 1T molasses.Stir together and leave to soak overnight, then have it with a heaped T of yoghurt.yummy.

antoniab, Jan 23, 3:34am
I put coconut flakes in mine as well as sunflower, pumpkin and linseed, cashews, almonds (and oats and puffed wheat but I guess you cant have them).
Yum that sounds good elsielaurie I think Ill give that a go.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 23, 4:16am

uli, Jan 23, 4:26am
Gluten Free Muesli

2 cups quinoa flakes
1 cup flax seeds
1 cup almonds (chopped)
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup walnuts (chopped)
1 cup dried coconut flakes

4 tbsp apple syrup (with no added sugar or sweetener)
3 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two baking sheets with baking paper. Mix the dry ingredients with apple syrup and cinnamon. Spread them out on the baking sheets and let it roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Stir around a couple of times to keep it from getting burnt.

While the dry ingredients are in the oven, chop the soft ingredients roughly and put in a large bowl.

100 g dried figs (chopped)
200 g dried apricots (chopped)
100 g dried currants
100 g goji berries (optional)
100 g raisins

If you have you can add:
1 cup puffed buckwheat
1 cup puffed amaranth

Let the roasted dry ingredients cool of before stirring it all together.

Store the muesli in large glass jars.

uli, Jan 23, 4:28am
This is adapted from a recipe from Simply Gluten-free & Dairy-Free by Grace Cheetham.

Apricot, Nuts and Goji Berry toasted muesli

Preheat oven to 150°C

50g butter (original recipe uses 50g dairy free spread)
80ml maple syrup (original recipe uses date syrup but this is not readily available in NZ)
1tsp vanilla extract
1c quinoa flakes
1c rice flakes
1/4c pumpkin seeds
1/3c linseeds
2/3c almonds (roughly chopped)
2/3c brazil nuts (roughly chopped)
1/3c hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
1/4c dried goji berries
2/3c dried apricots (chopped and if you live in NZ, uses NZ dried apricots)
2c coconut flakes

Method
1) In a small saucepan put the butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract and heat gently to melt butter. Stir to combine.
2) In a bowl mix together the quinoa flakes, rice flakes, nuts and seeds.
3) Add the melted butter mixture and stir well until the dry ingredients are coated.
4) Put the mixture onto an oven tray that has been covered with baking paper. (You may need to use 2 trays, depending on the size of your oven.)
5) Bake for 10 minutes, carefully stirring half way through to ensure it browns evenly.
6) Take it out of the oven and sprinkle the goji berries and coconut flakes over the muesli and mix through carefully (so as not to burn yourself).
7) Put it back in the oven for 5 minutes and then take it out to add the apricots. Stir them through and put back in the oven for a final 5 minutes. The original recipe says to put the apricots in at the same time as the goji berries but I found the apricots baked too hard.
8 )Take it out of the oven and leave on the tray to cool completely before putting into an airtight container where it will keep for up to 1 month.