ANZAC CAKE

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Apr 25, 7:22pm
I cannot remember which thread I saw that mentioned this cake, but I was reading the Sunday Star Times last night and lo and behold, there was a recipe for this cake from Annabelle White. I am going to put it in my file so if anyone wants it, let me know. I will get around to making it and let you know what it was like.
As an aside, we went for a drive to Ekatahuna via the back roads from Masterton and came across the old Ekatahuna cemetery with the graves of some of the returned servicemen amongst others, it was such a beautiful spot - very peaceful and a lovely spot to ponder just how lucky we all are and how grateful for these peoples sacrafice.

indy95, Apr 25, 10:27pm
Snap, cookessentials ! I don't usually get a Sunday paper, but for some indefinable reason I bought a SundayStar Times yesterday and there was Annabelle's recipe for Anzac Cake which I have wanted for some time. Now all I need to do is think of a good reason for making it !

seedy4, Apr 25, 10:33pm
Yes please can you post the recipe OR give a website where I could find it. Much appreciated thanks.

elliehen, Apr 25, 10:34pm
Could one of you post it here, please? Or can I find it online? Annabelle's a good-natured person as well as a good cook - I once emailed her about one of her recipes after finding her address on a website and she replied straightaway from London where she was on holiday.

indy95, Apr 25, 10:56pm
Here we are:

Modern Anzac Cake

125g butter, softened
200g sugar ( roughly 1/2 c )
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
85 g ground almonds
3 tbsp cocoa
30 g shredded coconut ( roughly 1/2 c )
1/2 c chopped dried apricots
200g SR flour ( roughly 1 1/2 c )
320 g sour cream
125 ml espresso or strong black coffee

Topping :

150 ml water
1 c sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
80 g butter
150 g flaked almonds ( roughly 1 generous cup )
30 g shredded coconut ( just under 1/2 c )
30 g rolled oats ( roughly 1/2 c )

Preheat oven to 160 C and grease and line a 24 cm cake tin.
Cream butter and sugar very well, add eggs one at a time beating well after each, then add vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add half to batter with sour cream and combine gently, then add remaining flour mixture with coffee. Pour into tin and bake for 1 hour until puffed and cooked through.

Heat water and sugar for topping stirring to dissolve sugar. When mixture begins to boil stop stirring and simmer for 5 mins brushing down sides of pan if necessary. When mixture is pale gold remove from heat and add remaining ingredients and mix very well. Pour this mixture over the cooked cake and return to oven for 10 mins or until topping has set.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins. Loosen any toffee from sides of tin with a knife then remove from tin and cool on a rack.

elliehen, Apr 25, 11:14pm
indy95, many thanks for that swift response. I like the idea of the ground almonds -I noticed that Alison Holst likes a few drops of almond essence in her Anzac Biscuits. Must be a complementary flavour in some mysterious culinaryway.

indy95, Apr 25, 11:28pm
Maybe it is although I don't like almond essence and rarely use it. I suppose I will just have to force myself to make the cake in order to find out.

griffo4, Apr 25, 11:41pm
l have just written my shopping list with all the above ingredients as l saw it as well and l also googled the recipe and there was some more plainer versions of the cake but l am really looking forward to making this one as well
l always get the SST and it has some fabulous recipes in it there was a recipe for melting moments a few weeks and it is a really lovely melt in mouth recipe
l also was looking at making the leek recipe from Richard

fruitluva2, Apr 26, 1:38am
Recipe iuse has less and basic ingredients. The cakes and biscuits were well received yesterday.

griffo4, Apr 26, 1:50am
fruitluva could you please post your recipe as the ones l googled were more basic but still sounded great.
l think this recipe is alot like the carrot cake one and everyone has a different version with more or less ingredients but all very nice

cookessentials, Apr 26, 7:31am
I have just found a recipe for ANZAC CHEESECAKE! which sounds really really nice. So I will post it here. This is NOT my recipe, but one I found and I thought someone may want to try it.

Base
½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
½ chopped toasted pecans
1 cup quick oats
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon mixed spice
125g butter, melted
Filling
500g light cream cheese, softened
250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
½ cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 lemon, rind finely grated
Nut Toffee
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
100g walnuts, chopped
100g pecans, chopped

METHOD

Base: Combine base ingredients and mix well. Press into a 25cm spring form cake pan.

Filling: Place all ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Pour into base and bake cheesecake in preheated 160 degrees C oven for 45 minutes, or until just set.

Nut Toffee: Bring sugar and water to the boil, and heat until a light golden caramel is formed. Fold through nuts and spread out onto greaseproof paper and allow to set.
With a sharp knife, cut toffee, allowing it to break into different sized shards. Stick shards of nut praline into top of cake.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 7:49am
I actually prefer a baked cheesecake and this looks quite nice.

cookessentials, May 6, 2:53am
ANZAC APPLE TEA CAKE.

240g self raising flour
120g butter
170g caster sugar
150g Anzac biscuits, roughly chopped
60g sultanas
2 apples, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
½ cup milk

Topping:
½ cup melted butter
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

In a large mixing bowl rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs.

Mix in the remaining ingredients until well combined.

Pour mixture into a greased and lined 20cm round cake tin. Bake in a pre heated moderate oven 170° for 50 minutes. The cake is cooked if it springs back from the sides of the tin when tested.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in the tin.

Turn out onto a serving platter and brush liberally with the melted butter. Finally sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.

cookessentials, May 16, 7:11am
Has anyone tried the cheesecake yet?

elliehen, May 16, 11:24am
Have saved it, and am just waiting for a suitable occasion... tempted to make the praline first ;)

snapit, May 16, 9:03pm
and here is another anzac themed recipe from Allyson Gofton. I made it using apple as the fruit and it was yummy.
http://www.ecook.co.nz/index. php/page/recipedetail/pi_recipe
id/1063 and here it is copied and pasted.

ANZAC CRUMBLE
Ingredients
1cup pure flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut
100-125 grams butter, slightly softened
2 tblsp golden syrup
1 tblsp boiling water
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
Poached tamarillos or feijoas for 6

Turn the Anzac biscuit recipe into the topping for a dessert with a difference.

Method

1. Sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the rolled oats, sugar and coconut. Rub in the butter.

2. Mix together the golden syrup, hot water, vanilla essence and baking soda. Use a knife to just mix into the oat crumb mixture.

3. Fill an oven-proof serving dish with sufficient hot poached and sliced feijoas or tamarillos. Sprinkle the crumble on top.

4. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 20-25 minutes until the crumble is golden and the fruit hot. Serve with whipped cream and hokey pokey icecrea

indy95, May 16, 11:33pm
No, so far I have managed to resist the temptation to make this because it sounds so downright fabulous I know that if I make it I will eat most if not all of it. I am also saving it for a special occasion. If only one would come along !

fruitluva2, May 17, 12:22am
Anzac cheesecake sounds good

daleaway, May 17, 3:40am
Why on earth are they using the word "Anzac" in some of these recipes?

They are modern inventions, and not at all what would have been sent to the troops. The whole point of food sent overseas was that it was dry and hard, so as to survive the journey through the tropics without disintegrating or going mouldy.

245sam, May 17, 3:57am
daleaway, while I agree with what you have 'said' re
"They are modern inventions, and not at all what would have been sent to the troops. The whole point of food sent overseas was that it was dry and hard, so as to survive the journey through the tropics without disintegrating or going mouldy", I think the reason that these recipes use the word "ANZAC" is because of the combination of the rolled oats and golden syrup, and of course the flavour that that combination gives to the recipe. :-))

fruitluva2, May 17, 4:13am
Daleaway, even if they are modern day inventions they do & will get baked at Anzac time too along with the biscuits. Nothing different is there afterallthey sell them in the shopsremember, so tm is not doing any harm posting them here.

raewyn64, May 17, 7:12am
this looks really great except I cannot have coffee in anything - what could I use instead of it?
Thanks for posting the recipe

245sam, May 17, 7:51am
raewyn64, IMO milk would be the best option for you to use - obviously the flavour will not be quite the same but the milk would be a good substitute for the liquid that the coffee would have given the mixture - the cake would most likely be somewhat lighter in colour too but hopefully not significantly so. :-))

raewyn64, May 17, 7:53am
Thanks for that - it has cocoa in it so I could always add a little more cocoa for extra colour I guess?

griffo4, May 21, 8:12am
Cooks l have made the cheesecake and l will tell you what it tastes like tomorrow but licking the spoon it tasted nice but l had trouble with the toffee and it is all crystalised back to a sugar state and a bit of a mess so l have crushed it small and will sprinkle over the top before serving for lunch tomorrow
l have also made a lumberjack cake from this weeks NZWW so will comment on that as well it is very interesting with dates, diced apple and diced apricot boiling water and baking soda put in a pot and brought back to the boil then sat to one side to cool then added to cake batter and then a coconut topping on top cooked with the cake
part way through the cooking