fresh snapper - what should I do?

gardie, Apr 25, 8:23am
Tonight I crumbed it but looking for something different for tomorrow. Any ideas?

juliewn, Apr 25, 12:52pm
Hi. .

Raw fish is nice. . the way we like it is deliciously simple. . wash and dry the fillets, cut into bite sized cubes, and place in a container that's large enough to put as many cubes as you're using, plus to just cover them with freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Cover with the lemon juice, and gently mix the juice through the cubes. Cover the container and chill for at least an hour. The fish will go white during this time - stir occasionally to make sure the lemon juice is touching all sides of the fish.

I prefer to use it like this, drain the juice off - drink it if you want - it tastes good and has lots of goodies in. .

You can add veges like finely chopped onion, chopped tomato and capsicum, etc... . and serve. .

Otherwise, drain off the lemon juice and add some of the veges included above, plus some chilled coconut cream (from a can). . mix gentle together and chill for an hour or so till the flavours blend. .

******************************-

Another way is to make a sweet/sour sauce to have with it. . saute some veges till still as crisp as you like them to be - onion, garlic, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, capsicum's, etc. .

Add the sweet / sour sauce and stir through the veges. . Stir though some pineapple pieces. . Keep this warm.

While the veges are sauteeing, cut the washed and dried fillets into pieces, dip lightly in some flour, and fry in a little butter for extra flavour.

Once all the fish pieces are cooked, mix them gently through the sauce and veges, so the fish doesn't break into pieces.

Serve over rice. .

Enjoy :-)

lost-in-oz, Apr 25, 12:55pm
argh don't ruin it! Fillet, flour (lightly) and just pan fry in a little butter. Serve with a green salad dressed with some olive oil and lemon juice.

cookessentials, Apr 25, 7:07pm
I make a nice sweet and sour fish by cutting the fish into bite size pieces and coating in a mix of breadcrumbs and sesame seeds. I make a sweet and sour sauce with ginger, pineapple etc... if you would like the recipe, let me know.

gardie, Apr 26, 6:09am
Thanks guys/gals. I haven't done anything yet - I think Sweet and sour sauce would be too strong for the delicate flavour of the fish and I'm not really into raw fish. Might just flour it and pan fry in a little butter. Might make something special of the veggies instead. Thanks again.

alewis, Apr 26, 6:26am
last time I cooked snapper I put flour and a good shake of lemon pepper in which I then shook off the fillet after throwing it in the plastic bag of said items, fried in butter was just lovely, I made broc carrots and beans and had a packet of holidaze sauce (dont shoot me) and baby potatoes in garlic and olive oil - it was just yum, I have snapper for tonight but will do salad same lemon pepper flour and probably asorbo rice with wine pharmeisan and lemon juice asorbo rice is a very nice side dish to fish I think.

lizab, Apr 26, 9:22am
I also always just flour it and fry in butter - gorgeous! ! ! Enjoy your fresh snapper you lucky thing :)

samsara11, Apr 26, 9:53am
Lightly panfry and then make a sauce as follows. Half cup of castor sugar - melt slowly over heat without stirring. When melted add 1 cup orange juice watch as it will splatter, stir until sugar melts into juice, add knob of butter and swirl through, pour over fish. This is a great sauce for snapper

fisher, Apr 26, 10:13am
Fish fillets in a pocket~ Oven
Tear off an arms width piece of tin foil and fold in half. Now fold in half again and roll/fold three of the edges to make a pocket.
Sprinkle a little salt some fine chopped parsleylemon pepper dill and a squeeze of lemon juice over the top of your fillets. Turn over and repeat.
Now drizzle or spray a little olive oil and place in parcel pocketPlace a few onion rings on top and fold/roll up last edge, pierce a small hole on top and place in oven.
200c for 12 mins each side. . a little longer if thick fillets.

fisher, Apr 26, 10:16am
Fish Chunks in Fennel SaucePre heat oven to 180 c
In a large frypan, place 40 gms of butter, 2 spring onions finely chopped and some sliced fennel bulb... Stir fry for a minute or two. .
Add 2 tbsp of plain flour and stir in and cook out... Add one cup of fish stock, 150ml of cream and some finely chopped fennel tops...
When mixture bubbles turn down heat to low and add 2 tsp of dijon mustard, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1/4 cup of frozen peas and stir for a minute...
Now add your chunky white fish (snapper) and cook on stove top for two minutes. .
Pour into casserole dish, place in oven for 35 mins at 180c... .

fisher, Apr 26, 10:21am
Fish Fillets In White Wine Sauce
Ingredients:
6 fish Fillets. . butter. . 2 tbsp minced garlic. . 1 large onion. . 1 bunch spring onions. . 1 cup chopped parsley. . 11/2 cups white wine. . 1 lemon. . flour. . salt. . pepper. . oil. .
Method:
Season and flour fillets well... Pan fry fillets until lightly brown - not well done... Remove from pan and set aside on paper towels.
Remove oil from frying pan and sauté all chopped seasonings and garlic in butter until tender. . Add wine and stir well for 3 minutes...
Reduce heat and add fish fillets to sauce. . Let simmer until all fillets are cooked through. . Sprinkle with lemon juice before serving and garnish with fresh parsley... .

fisher, Apr 26, 10:24am
Fish Casserole
4 snapper fillets. . 115gm tasty cheese, grated. . 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce. . 1/2 tsp dry mustard. . 1/2 tsp pepper. . 1 tsp salt. . 1/2 cup milk. . 1 onion finely chopped...
Combine onion and half the cheese and spread over the bottom of a casserole dish... Place the fish on top. Cover with the remaining cheese. Combine milk, salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Pour over fish. . Bake in a hot oven, 180c for approx 30 mins.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley before serving...

clair4, Mar 8, 1:13pm
Pop it into the microwave for a minute or so (covered). All you get is the fish and it is quite delicious with lemon.