Need ideas for fresh basil other than pesto...

rach_1, Feb 13, 8:07pm
Hi there, i have gone a bit over board with my basil plants and now have so much!, i dont want to waste it so any ideas of what i can do with it would be great, other than pesto please and i just eat that too fast!!

245sam, Feb 13, 8:28pm
Panini - one of the nicest paninis I've ever tasted was one that we enjoyed for lunch at Day's Bay, Wellington - it was so nice in fact that I've had to recreate the memory by making them here at home.The panini were simply filled with sliced and seasoned (with salt and pepper) tomato, sliced mozzarella cheese and WHOLE BASIL LEAVES.Served grilled, these panini are a delicious part of a hot summer's day lunch and an excellent way to enjoy the summer produce (tomatoes and basil).I definitely recommend. :-))

olwen, Feb 13, 8:28pm
Freeze some for winter.Just put it into freezer bags.

beaker59, Feb 13, 8:38pm
I have masses of it too fortunately I love it so it rarely goes to waste. I put it in everything including - salads, stews, meatballs, salsa, raw fish, pizza, pasta etc etc

It freezes well too though I won't be doing that till later in the season. Also of note is they don't seem to be going to seed this year as quickly and the bushes are getting very big.

sossie1, Feb 13, 8:41pm
i have masses too ( on purpose)to stew with tomatoes, which I have been putting in freezer bags for winter stews, also place in food processor with olive oil, puree and put into ice cube trays in freezer, then you can decide later on what to do with it.

rach_1, Feb 13, 11:19pm
Thanks, i might try freezing some with oil, we love fresh pasta so that may work well!

buzzy110, 3 days, 20 hours
I've found that too beaker. But I put it down to growing them in a shady, well watered position. In the past I have put them where the sun could get at them all day long. My bushes are now waist height and very bushy.

Tomatoes and basil are the usual food combination - like chocolate and raspberry or pavlova and kiwifruit. so anytime you use tomatoes, be it in salads, sauces, pizza, tomato paste or just anything that has tomato, then use basil as well.