Excess of fresh sage - what to do with it?

chakendrick, Jan 22, 4:13am
I do not have a food drier.
Any suggestions appreciated.

jag5, Jan 22, 4:21am
You can still dry it in your oven.Spread it out over a baking tray and dry slowly.

You can also freeze it.I would do like I do with parsley...chop and pop into a margarine container or any container with a lid, and pop into the freezer.Fresh sage (or other herbs) when needed.

gingerlime, Jan 22, 4:25am
Hang small bunches in a darkish dry place, for a week or two. I use rubber bands, a bent paperclip and nylon twine for a herb rack. A dark place is better to retain the color. Then rub or put thru your little bullet thingy.

buzzy110, Jan 22, 4:29am
If it is a plant you have growing, don't do anything with it unless you specifically want dried sage.

Why use dried or frozen sage when you can go out a pick the real McCoy all year round? My plants produce leaves or have leaves available for use all year round. It is not a herb that is used a lot so even 7 or eight leaves on a plant over winter is enough leaves for ordinary domestic use but most plants will have more than that. Mine do.

chakendrick, Jan 22, 4:31am
Thanks everyone.
It has just finished flowering - pretty blue flowers.
Does anyone know if they could be used for anything?

elliehen, Jan 22, 5:17am
I hang mine upside down in a brown paper bag in the hotwater cupboard.

lythande1, Jan 22, 6:42pm
Freeze it.
It keeps it's flavour a lot better than drying anyway. Chop then freeze. I freeze all my herbs.

olwen, Jan 22, 6:52pm
I'm pretty sure they can be added to salads

beaker59, Feb 20, 11:16pm
I'm with Buzzy on this, I have a garden just outside the kitchen door which keeps me in herbs all year round pretty much including sage. Some things are seasonal so I go without those for short periods over winter. But the perenials like sage, rosemary and thyme are best suited to winter meals and always seem to be available. Note Sage leaves will stay on the plant and rarely wither so if you pick the older leaves and leave the younger growth then the plant will just get bigger and bigger until you need to cut back and compost.

I do try drying but generally they don't taste as good. I have got a bunch of Oregano drying as per Jamie Olivers instructions to give it a go.