Can lamb knuckles/shanks be

elsielaurie1, Jan 1, 2:28am
roasted! or do they always have to be slow cooked in a stew-like mix!

biggles45, Jan 1, 2:35am
I have slow roasted them, but prefer the recipe below:

1 tsp salt + pepper, to taste
1/2 cup plain flour
2 lamb shanks
olive oil
2 tsp olive oil
1 leek - sliced
2carrots
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup red wine
1 can peeled tomatoes
1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
zest of 1 lemon

Mix salt, pepper and flour in a bowl and coat lamb shanks. Lightly spray a pan or casserole dish with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Brown shanks for 2 minutes and set aside. Heat olive oil in pan and cook leeks and carrots for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then return the shanks to pan with wine. Bring to boil, add tomatoes, stock, rosemary, thyme and lemon zest. Simmer for 1 hour, turning shanks occasionally, until meat is cooked and falling off the bone.

davidt4, Jan 1, 2:47am
Roast them in a covered roasting dish for about three hours at 160C.You can add flavourings such as garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, white wine, oregano or rosemary.I particularly like a combination of fresh rosemary, anchovies, garlic and red wine vinegar.

lythande1, Jan 1, 3:05am
Casserole is fine, in fact comes out moist and tender, cut off any fat first.

rainrain1, Jan 1, 3:31am
Fat on lamb shanks, where do you find that!

elsielaurie1, Jan 1, 7:02am
I slow roasted mine, on a rack over water.and it was delicious.

cloudberry, Jan 1, 8:03am
That sounds good, I'll try that. I wouldn't have thought of the anchovies. How many anchovies for two smallish shanks, would you say!

gardie, Jan 1, 8:43am
Me neither - and I've got a jar sitting in the fridge just waiting for such an occasion!

davidt4, Jan 1, 9:15am
More anchovy than you might think.For two lamb shanks I'd try 4 clove of garlic, 5 anchovy fillets and 2 tsp chopped rosemary.Its the rosemary that tends to dominate, while the anchovies just give a background umami and the vinegar holds it together.The combination has evolved for me from a Marcella Hazan chicken dish.

cloudberry, Jan 1, 11:49am
Thanks, DT4. I'll definitely try that.