Breadmaker advice please

mopsy3, Jan 17, 10:20pm
My mother has lost her recipe book for her breadmaker. Can any recipe be used in any breadmaker or are they specific to the make/model!

lilyfield, Jan 17, 11:50pm
any will do

unknowndisorder, Jan 18, 9:50am
The one thing that differs is the method of adding ingredients, I.e. some are fluids first, others last.

mwood, Jan 19, 8:07am
the mix is too moist - cutback on the water - what happens is we get used to seeing a wet mix and not a "dry" kneaded bread dough in the breadmaker - over time you forget about humidity etc and the total mix gets too wet - I'm sometimes guilt of this too - just today I made a very firm dough even had a scoop of peanut butter in it - result a very traditional looking kneaded dough (not wet slop) and an excellent finished loaf.

lilyfield, Jan 19, 8:12am
makes no difference which way- unless you do start time delay

sarahb5, Jan 19, 8:44am
Mine says fluid first but when I do that the bread doesn't work so I always do fluid last, right after the yeast and it's much better

foxy34, Dec 20, 11:55pm
lately my breads are coming out with the middle sucken in, I made sure the measurement were perfect to the recipe and it still did it. Any ideas! Not sure if the water too hot!

magenta, Dec 21, 12:08am
In hot,humid weather the yeast may be working too quickly and over rising.It then sinks when cooking as the air is released.I would maybe shorten the cycle or as you say use cooler water and maybe a bit less liquid during humid conditions.Sometimes the flour changes as a result of more moisture as well. I notice mine rising much more rapidly at the moment.

foxy34, Dec 21, 12:24am
Thank you for the great advice

harrislucinda, Dec 21, 12:58am
inmyguidebookfor thisproblemitall saysnotmeasured correctly
andnoneofmyrecipessayshotwaterjusttaphope thishelps

thewomble1, Dec 21, 12:00pm
If water too hot will kill the yeast.
heard something about not putting the salt in with yeast/water as the salt will kill the yeast. OK to add while mixing

mas45, Dec 22, 9:17pm
Hi, the normal reasons for bread sinking are, too much yeast, too wet a dough or under kneading. It usually is the first but if your using a bread machine it could be under kneaded. The trouble with bread machines is they knead for a certain time, dough is ready when its ready not when the timer stops. This is my basic home bread recipe and I normally use a 40 year old Kenwood but I do use my partners Tefal bread machine at times (not by choice).
3 cups flour
3 rounded teaspoons Surebake
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/4 cups water (cold tap) more or less
Mix untill the dough is ready not when the timer goes off.
Cheers Matt (ex bakery owner)