Strawberry jam not setting

jamiemew, Dec 20, 8:34am
I been boiling jam for a few hours and its still not set! I've added pectin. And kilo sugar for kilo strawberries! Not what shall I do! Help haha this is the first time I've made it with 3.5 kilos of strawberries have I tried to be lazy and boil too much at a time! Thanks

uli, Dec 20, 8:40am
Use another packet or 2 of Kings jam setting mix (=pectin). Strawberries are notoriously difficult to set. Some rhubarb would have been a nice addition. Too late now. Add the pectin and re-cook.

jamiemew, Dec 20, 8:44am
How many times can you boil it I had to turn off for 30 mins while I went out :$ if I cool and refrigerate it tonight can I buy more pectin tomorrow and reboil!

rema, Dec 20, 7:40pm
have re-boil strawberry jam twice now, because it didn't set, the last time added some rhubarb, now set really well

uli, Dec 20, 10:47pm
Yep rhubarb and strawberry is the ticket. Tastes much better too.

You can cool and reboil as often as you like really. On the rare occasions I make jam for my wwoofers I actually always leave the finished jam in the pot with the lid on to cool overnight.

Then next day I check if the consistency is to my liking, if not I boil a bit more. That way you do not have to get it all back out of the small jars - much less wastage and time involved.

makespacenow, Dec 20, 10:52pm
It takes longer with that batch size. I do only 1 or 2 kg at the time as I found larger quantity takes longer. 1kg 5 minutes and I am done, wash the pot then onto second batch. But have oven full of jars sterilising.
So yes just cook for bit longer.
I keep few tiny white plates in the freezer to test setting - few drops on a plate if it does not 'run' off the plate when you tilt it it is done.