Gherkin Relish - Finally Found Some!

brisgirl, Dec 20, 12:13am
This has been taken off the shelves at both NW and Countdown so finally found some (last jar) at local Deli/Grocer Shop, twice the price I would normally pay!.Going to mix it with cream cheese and NOM NOM NOM.

wheelz, Dec 20, 12:18am
x1
I have an awesome Gerkin relish recipe if interested, so good many eat it straight from the jar !

joyce123, Dec 20, 1:14am
I have searched high and low for it as well and was able to buy a huge jar 2.7kg from Gilmores - it took me weeks to find it but now have enough for months!

retired, Dec 20, 1:33am
Hi wheelz I thought I must have been the only one who liked ti and that was why they discontinued.I would be so grateful for your recipe.Wonder why it has disappeared!

brisgirl, Dec 20, 2:18am
Yes please wheelz.I am holding any leftovers in my jar to the highest bidder LOL.My friends a wild with me, maybe I should get them all around for a wine and share.

retired, Dec 20, 3:04am
Hi wheelz. it's a busy time of the year but if you could spare a minute to post the recipe.

mackenzie2, Dec 20, 3:12am
Oh yes. me to please, I use Gerkin relish for catering, and have found nothing to replace it with yet

retired, Dec 20, 5:32am
Has anyone else got a copy of this relish!Would love to hear from you.

lindylambchops1, Dec 20, 5:33am
Had some at lunch on a home made cheese roll.was delicious!

lindylambchops1, Dec 20, 5:38am
would this help anyone wanting to make gherkin relish!

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/gherkin-relish.html

lindylambchops1, Dec 20, 5:38am
A few of the message board posters would love your recipe for gherkin relish please.

TIA

retired, Dec 20, 5:44am
lindylambchops1 that was very kind of you but it didn't have curry in it and was/is a lovely bright green colour.

katalin2, Dec 20, 6:50am
This recipe was given to me by an elderly friend many years ago- of the many relishes and pickles I make each year it is the most popular. The bright green colour in commercial gherkin relish will be due to artificial colouring.
Gherkin Relish
1.5 kg gherkins
1 kg onions
2 tbsp common salt
4 C sugar
5C vinegar
1 1/2 t tumeric
1 t celery seed
2 T mustard seed
Mince or carefully process gherkins and onions; sprinkle with salt ; LEAVE OVERNIGHT; DRAIN.
Place in saucepan with other ingredients.
Bring to boil, simmer for about 20 minutes.
Thicken with 4 T flour mixed to a paste with cider vinegar.
Bottle and seal

wheelz, Dec 20, 7:42am
x1
Sorry, been at work, here it is. If I can't find fresh gherkins , I use jars of pickled gherkins. Buying jars, means you can omit the step of soaking the gherkins in salt.
1 1/2 kg gherkins , 6 med onions, 125 g salt :- Cover with water and the salt and leave overnight, drain. Omit this step if using jars of gherkins. ( I omitted the onions as well, made no difference to taste whatsoever)
Add chopped gherkins, 4 c sugar, 4 c white vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2tbsp mustard seeds, 2 dsp curry, 1 tsp celery seeds. Boil 10 mins, then add 1 (432g ) tin crushed pineapple & 2 finely chopped red capsicums, Boil again 10 mins. Thicken with cornflour and water if needed. Pour into sterilized jars. Keeps very well if it not devoured.

brisgirl, Dec 20, 8:05am
Yum thank you Wheelz and Merry Christmas

vonkrum, Dec 20, 10:11pm
brisgirl, my nan and mum used to make the gherkin dip that you talk about and also one made with corn relish.They were so yummy.Brought back memories.I will have to look at Gilmours when I go next.

brisgirl, Dec 20, 10:29pm
I make the corn relish one too.Took me years to get the courage to try the gherkin one but once you start - you can't stop.Have just made first batch for family get together tonight.We have a family friend who turns into 'Santa' every year and the younger kids get to open the door to him.He sits and listen's to everyone's wishes and we all have photos taken with him.He has been doing it for 17 years now.Not Christmas for us until 'Santa' has been :)

lindylambchops1, Dec 21, 3:49am
Thanks very much wheelz.Merry Christmas!

nauru, Dec 21, 6:27am
Thank you wheelz, my gherkin plants are doing well this year so I will definitely be trying your recipe as well as my usual old family one, all the family love it way better than store bought.