Winnie 321 my relish has failed! Can I fix it?

nunesy, Dec 18, 11:00pm
I made the relish to your recipe and it has simmered for 90 minutes but it's still basically liquid with capsicums and onions floating in it. will just simmering it for longer help or can I do something else! :-(I know lots of others have tried it with success.

winnie231, Dec 19, 12:17am
Oh no :(
I'm at work so can't be on here long. The relish doesn't pulp down like other relishes but it shouldn't have that much liquid left.
If the flavour is right then you could either turn up the heat and boil some of the liquid off or alternatively spoon some of the excess liquid off then bring up the temp on the rest and boil a little until it's syrupy.

nunesy, Dec 19, 2:53am
Thanks. that's pretty much what I ended up trying.It's reduced a bit but there's still a LOT of liquid.Not thick at all, boooooo.I don't want to waste it but can't see it being useful because of the vinegar (ie for stock or soup etc).So I will add some arrowroot and see if that works.hate it when a tried and true recipe fails!I really did follow the recipe to the letter though. will let you know if it works out.Thanks again for the help.

duckmoon, Dec 19, 3:06am
the surface area of the mixture will influence how quickly/slowly the liquid will evaoporate.

how big is your pot. (two pots with the same volume, one which is taller and slimmer will evapourate slower than a shorter and wider pot)

nunesy, Dec 19, 7:21am
Update: duckmoon yes I have since decided that might be the cause as my pot was very full to start with.winnie, I tried arrowroot and it changed the colour but still tastes fine.So I drained quite a bit of liquid and bottled the rest.Will hope for the best, I think it will still be nice with cheese and crackers or on burgers etc.Hopefully it will be ok.Thanks again for all your advice, I'll know to do it half at a time next time (I don't have a giant pot).

duckmoon, Dec 19, 7:24am
if you have two pots, then you can spread it between the two pots.

I have two preserving pans, both found at garage sales.One has about 80% larger volume than the other; but both have a similar surface area.

The smaller pot is by far the better for making jams and pickles. Because of the volume to surface area ratio

winnie231, Dec 19, 9:13am
Nunsey - I hope you've ended up with something enjoyable!
Duckmoon - thanks so much for your input! Like I said I was at work & struggling to think preserving . the size of the pot didn't even occur to me but you're right. I had made this in a preserving pot with a wide surface area.
I love this message board when it works like this . not for the recipes that go wrong but when others step in to help make it right!

nunesy, Dec 19, 10:11am
So what exactly is a preserving pan!I googled it but got so many different ideas I have no idea what is the difference between this and a normal large saucepan.And yes winnie I'm so grateful for this message board, it's saved me loads of time and energy over the years.

245sam, Dec 19, 10:22am
nunesy, this is what a good old-fashioned preserving pan looks like:-

http://www.jamworld.co.uk/externalfiles/image/pan001.JPG

thewomble1, Dec 19, 12:06pm
mix a little arrowroot in to thicken it

lythande1, Dec 19, 6:16pm
Drain it off into a sieve, put the vege back in, add less of the liquid and carry on.

winnie231, Dec 20, 6:30am
Nunsey - it looks fabulous & I know the recipients will be delighted to receive something personal & handmade :)
For my part - I have learnt a lesson when it comes to sharing recipes & I will try to be a lot clearer in the future with pot size, vege size, finished product appearance, etc.
I love this recipe so will make it myself soon (using a small pot lol) and post a photo of the results for reference.
Merry Christmas

duckmoon, Dec 20, 7:33pm
This is the kind of pot I use