Havoc Farms ham

marshjp, Dec 15, 11:04pm
Has anyone tried these! Are they worth the extra cost!

vintagekitty, Dec 15, 11:06pm
OMG yes, they are the king of pig's. Yummo

I currently have two huge hams in my fridge and they beckon me each time I open the door. Last year we had a ham before xmas, this year I am holding firm!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 15, 11:07pm
I've ordered one for this year, so good to read that VK.

vintagekitty, Dec 15, 11:11pm
Even friends who are not overly fussed on ham loved it. so, so good

marshjp, Dec 15, 11:13pm
Thanks, I think you have just made my mind up for me, I have been looking at their site every day this week wondering if I should or shouldn't

vintagekitty, Dec 15, 11:14pm
Do!, we are lucky here as we can get it direct from Havoc at the farmers market and in some butchers and their own store

stompy, Dec 16, 5:40am
Gretat to support the no crates and free range lifestyle too :)

shop-a-holic, Dec 16, 9:05am
Havoc = A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

I order my legs raw and make my own Hams.I tell the ladies at Havoc to make sure they name them, so that I know who I'm respecting during the whole process.So nice of them.Last year, they provided me with their pedigrees make up of Durock, Berkshire (and two others which I can't recall without reaching for my book).
They also make their hams using Juniper Berries.You won't EVER regret it.

jacquie05, Dec 17, 4:12am
I've just received my first ever raw ham from Havoc. Can't wait! I've got the glaze sorted, and the cooking time. But what sauce do you serve with it!

245sam, Dec 17, 4:18am
IMO the sauce you serve with your ham is dependent on the flavours and type of glaze that you use, so that they complement each other but you might like to consider serving Pickled Pineapple with the ham.

Alison Holst's PICKLED PINEAPPLE
½ cup sugar
4-6 whole cloves
¼ tsp each of cinnamon and ground ginger
pinch salt
¼ cup vinegar
1 can pineapple slices or pieces

Drain the juice/syrup from the pineapple into a saucepan containing the remaining ingredients.
Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes (until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup). Add the pineapple, return to the boil, then remove from the heat. Arrange the fruit attractively in a straight-sided jar. Fill with the syrup. Refrigerate for 24 hours before use. Store in the refrigerator.

Hope that helps.:-))

holly-rocks, Dec 17, 5:04am
They sell out from the factory shop in Waimate every year! Really worth the extra costs :)

jacquie05, Dec 17, 8:36am
Yum! Thanks for the recipe

marshjp, Dec 22, 2:54am
Ok, so my order from Havoc farms arrived on Thursday and it all smells amazing! My next question is what is the best glaze to use! I have been considering a glaze of Dijon mustard and maple syrup!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 22, 3:01am
I got mine on Thursday too! I'm using my usual dark ale, wholegrain mustard and grated fresh ginger. I loathe sweetness around the ham.

marshjp, Dec 22, 3:04am
I see some people use whole grain mustard but on the card I got from NZ Pork they recommend Dijon mustard, is there much of a difference!