Buying Christmas Hams

carter441, Dec 15, 8:28am
There seems to be a big difference in prices of hams and I question what the difference is! I just want a good quality half a ham on the bone!They seem to range from & $9.99 a kg to $18.99 a kg - does anyone have any thoughts on this please!

duckmoon, Dec 15, 9:10am
NZ pigs

Cage/sow crate or free range

gardie, Dec 15, 4:17pm
Best ham on the bone I've ever had is Hobson's Choice and its the only one I buy now.I think they were $39.99for a half ham at New World this week (ends today).A butcher on telly a couple of weeks ago also said that Hobson's choice was a good ham

bexkee, Dec 15, 4:28pm
I'm guessing the more expensive the meat, the less likely the pig lead a life of intense misery.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 15, 6:42pm
I eat ham only once a year so I'm prepared to pay a higher price for free range ham. It's all about get the best quality you can afford.

kuaka, Dec 15, 7:40pm
I've had nice cheap hams and rubbishy cheap hams, and I've had nice expensive hams and rubbishy expensive hams.Nowadays I go by the colour of the meat and the amount of fat and bone which shows on the cut end of it (that is assuming it's not covered by bright red or bright green packaging as Countdown seem to have adopted this year making it impossible to actually see the meat).And to keep the ham fresh, soak a piece of butter muslin in lemonade, wring out the excess and wrap the muslin around the ham.Every second or third day, rinse the muslin in tap water, pour more lemonade on, wring out the excess and re-wrap the ham.Keeps the ham fresh and moist for ages and ages.

asue, Dec 15, 8:26pm
Anyone know the best small ham to get!

sarahb5, Dec 15, 9:40pm
Ethically or for taste!We're not big ham eaters at Christmas as we have a turkey so I bought a piece of Hellers honey baked ham - weighs just over 1kg and cost about $18.I like it because it's all nice and lean, you can see what the texture of the meat looks like before you buy it and it tastes good.I know it's already honey glazed but I still score the top and glaze it again in the oven myself for a few minutes just to add some extra flavour - I usually just smear it with a mix of orange juice, mustard and marmalade or honey until it browns up.There's no waste either.

paula16, Dec 16, 3:19am
i like leg ham better than shoulder. that changes the price 2

bvalc, Dec 16, 5:27am
The best hams are NZ Pork free farmed, from Long Flat Baconin Ruawai, all grown in Paparoa Northland, hand cured and Manuka smoked in a traditional brick smoke house, cooked in small cooker, packed by hand and sent to you via courier, no extra water added, no growth hormones in the food. There is a web site that you can order onthe name above plus .co.nz. They make the best sausages ever, also all bacon and small goods, fabulous Black Pudding, and Chorizo and Kranskys.You name it, they make it. I personally won't eat anything else.

bvalc, Dec 16, 5:29am
They also do preservative freehams and bacon, and sausages, so ifyou are allergic to this stuff, these are for you, also gluten free sausages.