Lamb shank recipe please

ellie04, Apr 23, 7:51pm
Is anyone able to share a delicious lamb shank recipe with me? My husband has been away overseas with work and is back tomorrow. Lamb is his favourite meat so was thinking of making lamb shanks for him - something comforting and delicious. Many thanks.

wildebeest, Apr 23, 7:54pm
i do this for my partner:
chuck 2 lamb shanks in a frying pan till nicely browned all over.
place in a baking dish, cover with one can of watties garlice pasta sauce and bout 1/2 cup of beef stock. add some chopped mushrooms and a chopped onion and whack in oven for hour or so!
super easy and he loves it.

wildebeest, Apr 23, 7:55pm
oh and serve on mash :)

ellie04, Apr 23, 8:05pm
Thank you - sounds delish! Definitely mushed spuds served with them! Yummo!

cookessentials, Apr 23, 8:56pm
I have a lovely slow cooked lamb shanks in red wine with white beans by Ross Dobson if you would like it.

ellie04, Apr 23, 9:36pm
Thank you cookessentials - yes please! We love lamb shanks and it is great to have a variety of recipes. Love white beans too! Thanks

cookessentials, Apr 23, 10:10pm
100g dried white beans such as cannellini or butter beans
4 trimmed lamb shanks about 400g each
40g pancetta, chopped
400g tin chopped toms
500ml beef stock ( I use Campbells)
250ml red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste (sundried if you can get it)
1 fresh or dried bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
handful of flat leafed parsley, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place white beans in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 6 hours or overnight. Drain well and set aside.
Preheat oven to 170C. Place lamb shanks in casserole, add pancetta, tomatoes, stock, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and half of the parsley. Season well with salt and pepper, stir to combine and cover tightly. Cook in pre-heated oven for 2 hours. Remove casserole from oven, turn the shanks over and add the beans. Re-cover and return casserole to the oven and cook a further hour until mixture is thick and lamb is very tender. To serve, spoon a quarter of the beans into each dish, add a lamb shank and spoon some sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Serve with some sauteed green beans if liked. From Ross Dobsons"Casual Entertaining" book

snapit, Apr 23, 10:16pm
Here is another that we have enjoyed often
Lamb Shanks in Orange Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
2 lamb shanks
1 chopped onion
1 chopped carrot
2 stalks chopped celery
2 tbsp flour
½ pint stock or water
salt and pepper
½ cup orange juice
1 dessertspoon grated orange rind
Melt butter and brown the shanks on all sides, remove. Add the vegetables and cook in butter until well browned. Add flour then gradually pour in the stock and stir until thickened and smooth, Season and bring to boil and add the shanks. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender. Remove the shanks onto serving platter then return the sauce to a simmer, add the rind and juice, return to the boil and spoon over the shanksto serve.

petal1955, Apr 23, 10:23pm
SECRET LAMB SHANKS

Chef's Note:
I promise you this isthe easiest, most fool proof way to prepare one of the most aromatic and tasty winter dishes designed to warm a New Zealand home. Even the neighbours will be smelling it and knocking on your door with a pen and paper for this recipe!

Out of all the restaurants I've worked in when winter comes there's always been one thing on the menu that we could never prepare enough of. The butcher could not supply us with unless ordered a week in advance and then the dish was always sold out half way through the dinner service anyway. And that's the story with Lamb Shanks ! !
For this popular dish you are going to need to do the following :

Step 1 Get them Crispy and brown! ! (This is where flavour comes from)
4 Lamb Shanks (Ask your butcher for the Hind Shank -- they are way more succulent)
4 Tbl Spoons Sugar (Brown Preferably)
1 Onion (Red Preferably)
1 Pinch of Salt
Preheat your oven to 220 ° Celsius
Slice your onions in thick rings and lay these at the bottom of a roasting tray. (This is to get your Shanks to stand upright on the tray while they cook).
Sprinkle the shanks liberally with the sugar and salt and the onions will absorb the lovely juices that run out.
You want to cook these until Golden brown roughly half an hour.

Step 2 Finishing touches …( Our Secretaka the twist)
You need your
4Crispy shanks, lie them down flat in the tray (keep the onions)
4: Cloves of Garlic peeled
3Large Carrots cut into chunky "rustic" pieces
1Stick of Celery cut into similar sized pieces (smaller than the carrots)
2Bay leaves,
4Peppercorns,
2: Tblspns Paprika,
½ Tblspn Cinnamon,
2Tblspn Cumin,
1 Tblspn Nutmeg,
½ Tblspn Salt.
1 Whole Tomato roughly chopped
250 ml's red cooking wine
250 ml's Chicken stock
1 Whole Orange quartered including rind
A little water to cover them completely, tinfoil over and into the oven for 3 hours they go ! !

Once cooked, you'll notice the orange has penetrated and tenderized the meat beautifully so be careful as you remove these from the liquid and onto another tray. Strain the liquid keeping the carrot, celery and onion to serve on the side. Now boil away the Remaining liquid in a pot until around half the liquid remains. This should havea nice "sheen" and it will have thickened slightly to a very aromatic gravy ! !

ellie04, Apr 24, 4:19am
Thank you everyone - these look fantastic! ! You've got me salivating already - and it is starting to look dark and grey here in Wellington so the perfect comfort food - will start preparing so we can have for our dinner tomorrow! These all look so delicious!

fruitluva2, Feb 27, 9:46am
Trade Me Cooks.co.nz

And for moreLamb shanks-meal optionstry our:

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=14&t=323