Seafood chowder

cottagerose, Dec 8, 11:50pm
I did check out a few from here for last 12 mthsbut wondered if anyone has a recipe for this. Ive never made one and am a bit scared to. Lol. But would like to do one for Christmas Day

harrislucinda, Dec 9, 12:42am
lotsofrecipesongoogleorwaituntilsomeoneon herecomesupwith agoodie

janny3, Dec 9, 1:00am
Stock, white sauce, seafood are basics.Browne bacon, onions, diced spuds then everything else.i like to add spring onions, other vegetables, herbs.Also a generous slug of fresh cream makes it nice.A little corn, parsley, chives and dill helps.Tried the Ruawai Cafe one! http://www.tv3.co.nz/Seafood-Chowder/tabid/2226/articleID/72621/Default.aspx

Some people just use those powdered seafood or onion soup sachets fortheir seafood chowder bases and build on them with seafood, veg, tinned corn, spuds, other veg and cream.Still tastes great.

fifie, Dec 9, 2:19am
Alyson Goftens is my fav and superb for special occasions.
Blue Cod and Bluff Oyster chowder.
12-14 Bluff oysters (halved, if wished)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
125 grams butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cut the cod into chunky, bite-sized pieces. Place in a large frying-pan with the oysters, garlic and half the butter. Cook over a low heat until the edges of the seafood just begin to curl up. Remove the seafood from the frying-pan and set aside.
Add the remaining butter to the frying-pan and melt over a low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute until frothy. Gradually add the milk to make a smooth sauce.
Cook, stirring over a low heat, until thickened to the consistency of pouring cream.Add more milk if required.
Return the seafood to the saucepan and season the chowder with pepper. Stir in the cream and parsley just before serving. Serve immediately, before the seafood has a chance to become tough.
Allyson's Tip
If the parsley is added too early to a white sauce-based dish such as this chowder, it can turn the sauce a greyish colour, so add just before serving.
Expensive to make, but a rich creamy chowder full of flavour.

iriegirl, Dec 9, 5:57am
+1 from me for this one, I replace the oysters with scallops though and sometimes add some mussels or fresh squid if I have them.

cottagerose, Dec 10, 6:37am
Thankyou everyone. I like the sound of Alison Goftons and sealord so will use them as a guide, using parts of both recipes

janny3, Dec 11, 1:24am
My favourite!

kiwitrish, Dec 11, 2:12am
I use the Jo Seagar recipe. Taste so good and so easy to make.

Smoked seafood Chowder
100 g butter
1 leek, finely sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup fish stock (use the liquid from the canned smoked
fish)
2 cups milk
1 cup sweetcorn (fresh off the cob, frozen, canned or
creamed)
1 potato, peeled and diced into small pieces
1 x 310 g can of smoked fish fillets, or 2 cups flaked
smoked fish 2 cups (approx)
mixed seafood
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make SMOKED SEAFOOD CHOWDER
Heat the butter in a large saucepan add the sliced leek and
onion. Stir-fry 3-4 minutes, then add the flour and stir well.
Stir over a gentle heat and add the fish stock and milk. Add
the corn, diced potato, smoked fish and other seafood.
Gently simmer until potato is softened and the soup is
smooth and thick. Finally add the cream and parsley and
season to taste with pepper and a little salt (note that
smoked fish tends to be quite salty).

janny3, Dec 11, 12:31pm
Yum. Forgot Jo Seagars recipe.Thanks!