Seafood Chowder

jan106, Aug 9, 11:55pm
My daughter just texted and asked if we could have Seafood Chowder for dinner tonight. The fussy boys are out tonight so it seems like a great idea. Does anyone have a nice recipe they could share? Its a long drive home just for a recipe book.

gardie, Aug 10, 5:31am
I just make a white sauce and add a touch of curry powder then I stir in some surimi and cooked prawns. I also add some white fresh fish if I have some. You can pop in a packet of marinara mix if you like but my family are not great seafood fans. They love the prawns, surimi and fish though. Thin to the right consistency using more milk or chicken stock.

fisher, Aug 10, 5:43am
Seafood Chowder
Serve with some toasted french stick and lashings of butter
Melt two tbsp of butter in fry pan, add one onion and fry... Add 3 tbsp of chicken stock and a 1 tsp of curry powder...
Add crab meat, mussel meat, fish chunks and stir fry for a minute or two. . Add two cans of coconut cream and simmer for about 15 mins... . Pour into a dish, grate tasty cheese over the top and put under the grill until it goes golden and crunchy...

fisher, Aug 10, 5:46am
Seafood Chowder with Smoked Fish
Do not add salt to this dish...
Ingredients:
2 med potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes. . 1 med onion, diced . . 4 cloves of garlic, minced. . 1/4 cup olive oil. . 1 cup white wine. . 1 cup cream. . 2 bay leaves. . 1 cup water. . 4 cups chicken or fish stock. . ground black pepper. . parsley. .
12 mussels in shell cleaned and debearded . . 1 fresh gurnard / terakihi fillet, cut into 2cm cubes. . 1 smoked fish fillet(kahawai, trevally, mullet)
Method:
Boil the potatoes until just turning soft. . Break down the smoked fish fillet into small pieces removing bones and skin...
Sauté the garlic and onions in oil for 5 mins and then add the wine , stock, water and bay leaves and bring to the boil. . Now add the mussels... Simmer gently moving about until the shells open . . Remove the mussels, extract the mussel meat and discard the shells. Cut mussels in half...
Return to the simmering stock mix and add all the remaining ingredients and simmer further 10 mins mixing till all coated...
With hand blender, pulse till SEMI-PUREED but still chunky. .
Don't overdo it.
Nice crusty garlic french stick on the side and a sprinkle of fine parsley over the chowder,

samanya, Jan 13, 3:55pm
I love Jo Seagar's recipe & I add my own variations at times

http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:soups/smoked-seafood-ch
owder/