Recipe for seafood chowder Please?

onzy, May 11, 5:13am
Hi, my mum has asked me for a recipe for seafood chowder. I dont have a recipe in my books. Does anyone have a recipe that they have tried and love and are willing to share? I would really appreciateit, thanks.

245sam, May 11, 5:23am
onyz, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using 'seafood chowder' as the Keywords and 'Anytime' as the Date posted option - you'll find a number of earlier threads re this same topic which should give you a choice of recipes to offer your Mum. :-))

firemansgirl, May 11, 5:28am
SEAFOOD CHOWDER
Serves 6
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
3 large waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
2 cups water
2 cups milk
375g pot Sealord Marinated Mussels Natural, drained
4 Sealord Simply Natural Tarakihi fillets, defrosted and cut in chunks
200g can Sealord Peeled Cocktail Shrimp, drained
1/2 cup cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a saucepan, add oil, onion and bacon and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes to cook potatoes.
2. Add milk, Sealord Mussels, Tarakihi and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in deep soup bowls.

This was the original recipe. I varied it a little, kept to the same weight combined of fish, but buy whatever is on sale or marked reduced at the supermarket (especially scallops and salmon) pop them into the freezer until I have enough. If you don't like the idea of all the cream, I have also substituted the equal quantity of white wine... . which then gives you an excuse to have a couple more glasses with the chowder. It's very yummy and I have made it several times!

onzy, May 11, 8:20pm
Thanks so much for the advice, new to the message boards.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 5:00pm
My husband LOVES this, however, I am not a fan of seafood chowder myself but he still has it made for him.

1 tablespoon olive oil
100g bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon plain flour
3 cups hot chicken stock
2 cups milk
2 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
4 potatoes (600g), peeled and thinly sliced
pinch of cayenne pepper
200g black mussels, cleaned.
10 medium green prawns, peeled and deveined leaving tail intact
250g white fish fillet, diced
1/4 cup pouring cream
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
crusty bread, to serve

Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium high heat. Add bacon, onion and garlic and cook until bacon is crisp. Stir in flour until well combined and then gradually stir in stock.

Add milk, herbs, potatoes and cayenne. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add mussels, prawns and fish to soup, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until mussels have opened and prawns and fish are just cooked through.

Stir in cream and parsley. Serve with crusty bread