Seafood chowder using tin of smoked fillets

Page 1 / 2
ellenitter, Jul 16, 8:37pm
I recently saw this recipe in a magazine, but forgot to cut it out, it looked and sounded yummy, but all I can remember is that it had a tin of smoked fillets in it, plus other ingredients, any help would be appreciated. I have tried googling it but can't come up with the one I saw. Thanks

korbo, Jul 17, 4:02am
I cheat and buy a packet of maggi fish pie mix.
add an extra 1/2 to one cup milk, make as per instructions, and then add the fish or whatever. crushed garlic, (1 clove) is nice, and sometimes just add some cream at the last minute.
drain the fillets if using tinned fish.

ferita, Jul 17, 4:07am
I dont know the recipe but I would chop an onion and sweat itr off in some butter. To that add fish stock your smoked fish and some marinara mix.

In another pot make roux with 125g of butter and 3/4 cup of flour. Cook out the flour for 2 or 3 minutes (blond roux).

Mix the fish stock mixture to the roux mixture and it will thicken then add cream, salt and white pepper and parsley to taste

fisher, Jul 17, 4:16am
Ferita... I'd like to see/taste that made with a nice fillet of smoked trevally. . nice subtle chowder rather than the harsh flavour of say smoked mullet...

fisher, Jul 17, 4:20am
Seafood Chowder. . Serve with some toasted french stick and lashings of butter
Melt two tbsp of butter in fry pan, add one onion and fry... Add 3 tbsp of chicken stock and a 1 tsp of curry powder...
Add crab meat, mussel meat and your smoked fillets...
Stir fry for a minute or two . . Add two cans of coconut cream and simmer for about 15 mins. . Pour into a dish, grate tasty cheese over the top and put under the grill until it goes golden and crunchy. .

fisher, Jul 17, 4:23am
Seafood Chowder with Smoked Fish. .
Do not add salt to this dish
Ingredients:
2 med potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes. . 1 med onion, diced . . 4 cloves of garlic, minced. . 1/4 cup olive oil. . 1 cup white wine. . 1 cup cream. . 2 bay leaves. . 1 cup water. . 4 cups chicken or fish stock. . ground black pepper. . parsley. .
12 mussels in shell cleaned and debearded. . 1 fresh gurnard / terakihi fillet, cut into 2cm cubes. . 1 can smoked fish fillet. . fresh is better...
Method:
Boil the potatoes until just turning soft. . Break down the smoked fish into small pieces. Sauté the garlic and onions in oil for 5 mins and then add the wine, stock, water and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Now add the mussels...
Simmer gently moving about until the shells open ... Remove the mussels, extract the mussel meat and discard the shells. Cut mussels in half... Return to the simmering stock mix and add all the remaining ingredients and simmer further 10 mins mixing till all coated... With hand blender , pulse till SEMI-PUREED but still chunky. Don't overdo it.
Nice crusty garlic french stick on the side and a sprinkle of fine parsley over the chowder...

grannypam, Jul 17, 4:32am
awwww heck. .

no smoked fish in the house either canned or fresh. .

but not a problem that cant be solved when we venture out next. . lol

The best seafood chowder I have ever had was at the very last restaurant at The Bluff , the one next to the sign post. Could have been The Drunken Sailor ? ?

fisher, Jul 17, 5:06am
LoL at Drunken Sailor, serving seafood chowder...
Just need a side of REAL smoked fish grannypam... I really love trevally as it has a "softer more subtle" flavour than kahawai or mullet. .
I smoke my own and rarely catch trevally, mostly kahawai I use for the smoker. . Been getting some nice Kingfish lately, jigging, and they are about 15-20kgs. . Only keep ONE each time we go out and they are superb smoked. . been blessed with friends giving us smoked striped and broadbill marlin of late. . some smoked and some fresh slabbed to grill directly on the BBQ as steaks. .
Also Bluenose. . a fish from the deep and which taste superb with chunks deep fried after being lightly battered. .
I gladly swap fresh veges from my garden with these denizens of the deep. . :}}

ferita, Jul 17, 5:11am
Ive been getting the odd trevally off the wharf here. They are fighters and I have lost about the same amount as I have landed. They like to wrap themselves around the pylons. Plus they have soft mouths.

I dont eat fish so have never tried them but my dog loves them :)
(he is allergic to beef, chicken and lamb so has to eat fish and its cheaper to catch it then buy it)

buzzy110, Jul 17, 5:20am
A piscatorian dog eh ferita. Pleeeze. I'm dying from laughter here.

buzzy110, Jul 17, 5:29am
Have you considered making your trevally into fish souffle as a treat for your piscatorian dog ferita. I have it on good authority that another vego used to make his dog cheese souffle's.

beaker59, Jul 17, 5:40am
Dogs do very well on fish Buzzy :) I had an old dog which had a terrible coat until someone advised me to feed her fish I gave her a pilchard every day and her coat became really glossy and black and beautiful.

Yes to Trev's great fish fresh or smoked.

buzzy110, Jul 17, 5:45am
I agree beaker but a dog allergic to beef, lamb and chicken! ! !

fisher, Jul 17, 5:46am
My fussy pups will only eat cooked fish. . preference is kingfish flakes, and deep fried snapper. . spoilt brats... :}

fisher, Jul 17, 5:48am
Never heard of that before buzzy... does he mean they just wont eat it at all when served up. . or "allergic". .

ferita, Jul 17, 5:49am
Its not the actual meat he is allergic to its something in the fat of those animals. Beef allergy is one of the most common allergies in dogs. The problem is that 99. 9% of commercial dog food has beef in it and the special dog food (which is made from fish and potatoes) is very expensive. I feel its better for him to have fresh fish plus its cheaper. I go fishing a few times a week for him.

If he eats beef etc he gets really bad yeast infection in his ears and coat. His hair literally falls off and he smells really bad. He has big ears (he is a basset hound) and they can get ear problems easy. In fact it is one of the most common ways basset hounds die.

ferita, Jul 17, 5:51am
http://www.peteducation.com/article. cfm? c=2+2082&aid=143

Several studies have shown that some ingredients are more likely to cause food allergies than others. In order of the most common offenders in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy. As you may have noticed, the most common offenders are the most common ingredients in dog foods. This correlation is not a coincidence. While some proteins might be slightly more antigenic than others, many proteins are similar in form and the incidence of allergic reactions are probably associated with the amount of exposure.

fisher, Jul 17, 5:55am
The thing we do for out pets... Lol:}

ferita, Jul 17, 5:59am
Its a good excuse to go fishing ha ha :)
The fishing is fairly good here so I can get 4 or 5 big kahawai in an hour off the beach and one big one will last him a day. When its too rough off the beach then I have to go off the wharf and it is very hit and miss there. My dog has been known to eat piper and sprats when I cant catch anything else LOL

stormbaby, Jul 17, 7:52am
Here you go, I posted this 3-4 years ago and its usually come back on the thread every year about the same time.
1 onion, 4 small potatoes, 2 tbsp butter, 1 1/2 cups water, 310gr can smoked fish fillets, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, garlic, 2 sticks celery, 2 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
Chop garlic, onion, potatoes and celery. Melt butter, fry garlic and onion, add flour and cook 1 minute, add water and milk, bring to the boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Add potatoes and celery. Cook 5-8 minutes till potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Flake fish and add (with liquid from can). Add pepper and parsley. Serve with the grated cheese if wanted.

I use chicken stock instead of water for a fuller flavour. I double and triple this recipe and freeze it, as its a lovely meal in mid winter with a crusty loaf of bread. Remember to heat the bowels if you reheat this chowder as it loses its heat quick because of the potato content. I also use smoked garlic herb instead of garlic.

Its a lovely recipe.
And Fisher, would love some of your smoked fish, Mum used to smoke her own too.

darlingmole, Jul 17, 8:04am
**Remember to heat the bowels if you reheat this chowder as it loses its heat quick because of the potato content** stormbaby

Sorry stormbaby - just had to laugh at your typo! ! ! I'm sure you mean BOWLS eh? ! And your recipe sounds lovely btw:-D

darlingmole, Jul 17, 8:06am
And as for you Fisher posting about all the beautiful seafood you're so blessed to be receiving in our gorgeous winterless far north ... well you've made me very envious indeed~! (would LOVE to move up where you are; use to have a bach at Tokerau Bay ... *sighs longingly for days gone by*)

stormbaby, Jul 17, 8:12am
Awwww crap! ! ! ! ! would you believe I just had bowel surgery! Must have it on the brain.
Don't heat the bowels, heat the blastic bowls lol! ! !

stormbaby, Jul 17, 8:16am
I can't even type blasted!

darlingmole, Jul 17, 8:23am
haha~! you did it again storm! blastic bowls! ! ! ! hey I hope you're recovering well and heal up in record time xx