"Cream" puff fillings

marywea, Dec 8, 7:06pm
Looking for ideas for sweet and savoury fillings that are not whipped cream.Another poster mentioned that her Mother did savoury ones but not what she used. When it is "bring a plate" you need to fill a while before they are going to be eaten and some things like lemon curd could make them soggy. Thought of mushroom with very little sauce or cream corn but neither of those are universally popular and the filling won't be seen. For sweet would something like apricot jam with grated chocolate be good!Your ideas would be welcome.I love cream in them but don't want most of it sitting in my fridge and being a temptation. I am looking to to fill about 6-12 ata time. Thank-you.

olwen, Dec 8, 7:41pm
Perhaps a cream cheese based savoury filling.Blend smoked salmon, or other smoked fish with cream cheese.Tins of smoked mussels are really cheap and would mix well with cream cheese to a piping consistency.Or thin pate with some sour cream.

mumstu, Dec 8, 9:02pm
Canned or smoked salmon and cream cheese, cooked bacon and cream cheese, custard with passion fruit through, custard chopped strawberries etc.

lilyfield, Dec 8, 9:36pm
Creme pattisserie

mackenzie2, Dec 8, 10:04pm
Thick greek yogurt and passionfruit sauce is lovely, so is a mix of whipped cream and thick caramelsauce, for sweet options

davidt4, Dec 8, 11:51pm
Good idea.Crème patisserie doesn't leak the way that whipped cream does and it will hold for several hours without making the pastry soggy.It is also extremely delicious.

cookiebarrel, Dec 9, 1:27am
Once when I did Chocolate Eclairs to take for a plate and was worried about the cream making the base soggy, I 'painted' the base in melted white chocolate and it worked a treat.

duckmoon, Dec 9, 10:33am
Can't answer your question.

I do tarts . Neenish tarts keep well
Tarts with lemon curd go soft. Not quickly, but soft enough to notice it when eaten for the breakfast the following morning

duckmoon, Dec 9, 10:59am
What about a seafood chowder.

My friend purchases one from wishbone which is very nice.

She uses it to fill vol u vonts (sp)

gardie, Dec 10, 3:55am
Nice with a mexican type mince mix - fill puffs, then top with cheese and pop into the oven to melt the cheese and warm slightly - only slightly.