Hey Dutch folk . can Banketstaaf be frozen once

kiwijo, Dec 7, 10:19pm
baked!Last night I did a test bake, in preparation for making some for Christmas.If I bake it now (a) will it keep unfrozen til Christmas!; or (b) would it be OK frozen!Or, third option, should I wait until the weekend before Christmas to make it!

punkinthefirst, Dec 7, 10:43pm
I didn't know what it was, so Googled it, to find it is a marzipan log wrapped in flaky pastry.
The flaky pastry, once cooked, a) probably won't keep, unfrozen, and b) won't be all that flaky if cooked and frozen.
Why not make it to just before the baking stage and freeze it, unfrozen. That way, you could take it out on Christmas Eve and thaw and bake then. It doesn't seem to be highly decorated, so wouldn't take too much out of your day, and would be nice and fresh. Nothing worse than stale flaky pastry!

dilligaf_dah, Dec 8, 12:45am
Hi
It will keep unfrozen till xmas just wrap tightly in glaswarp or tinfoil.
and it freezes Ok but to me does not taste quite the same (The pastry)
The mix for the inside keeps for months in airtight cointanters in the firdge. (well thats where I keep mine - in a small clip it lunch box. - I wrap in gladwrap first - then place in the lunch box)I make mine in August as the longer it s kept the nicer it is,
I would make the mix now and then the pastry and bake the week of xmas.
thats what most of us do - Me dad was a dutch baker. so we grew up with all the lovely dutch goodies.