Please help an idiot! Icing / cupcake question..

lisamaree, Apr 22, 9:32pm
I am very new to cupcakes / icing /decorating - I've bought a 14" icing bag, 2D Wilton tip and large tip coupler - but for the life of me cannot work out how they all fit together! The nozzle end of the bag seems too narrow for the 2D tip. . but I think its supposed to go inside the coupler! ! Can anyone explain this in simple terms or point out a good website with instructions? Thanks!

pam.delilah, Apr 22, 10:16pm
hope this helps. pop in to the wilton websitevia this link

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/decorating-basics/using-cou
plers. cfm

mismuffet, Apr 23, 5:19am
To be honest, I find it easier to put the icing on the cupcakes with a small spatular rather than an icing bag. You can put ina nice swirl and have less cleaning up at the end!

neil_di, Apr 26, 9:44pm
Never call yourself an idiot. You have a problem and this thread is here to help you. Good on you for wanting to do something special with your icing. I"m with mismuffet re the spatula method but good luck with the piping bag. . they do look fabulous with piped tops http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/laurel-watson-s-cake-decorati
ng-tips-6-august-2889031
There are some really good ideas on this page which you might like. . for a flat icing start with nozzle at centre of cupcake and for peaked start at edge and work into middle. Good luck and have fun

elliehen, Apr 26, 9:58pm
I'd go for the spatula too - I have a large old-fashioned broad-bladed bone-handled knife! It does everything from ice cakes to mix pastry.

And neil_di - so good to read your encouragement to a poster to ask a question without apology. I believe absolutely that there is no such thing as a stupid question if the answer is important to the person asking it. How often at a gathering do we hear a collective sigh of thanks when someone else asks the question we were dying to ask but afraid to :)

margyr, Apr 26, 10:02pm
i have bonehandled knives too which are great for icing, just dont put them in the dishwasher.

hezwez, Apr 26, 10:02pm
Amen to that.

grannypam, Apr 26, 10:04pm
Thats what I use my one and only bonehandle knife for. .

as a mini spatula. I'd be lost without it.

elliehen, Apr 26, 10:15pm
grannypam, keep it out of sight of fisherfolk ;)Around here they are sought after by some for opening oystershells - after snapping off the top half of the knife... apparently they're the best.

grannypam, Mar 7, 8:03am
he who hangs around here knows what fate would await if he so much as dared to touch my knife . . lol

he learnt the hard way many years ago. . lol