Vegan friendly cookie or slice recipe.

gillies08, Dec 4, 11:34pm
Hi everyone I am making a 'gift in a jar' for each of the special teachers, coaches etc in my kids lives for Christmas this year. I have 'googled' but can not find a suitable recipe for a strict vegan, (some say vegan but then have marg etc, very confusing) can anyone help!Thanks SO much!

lilyfield, Dec 5, 12:11am
Marg is vegan friendly,as it does not use animal fat . So shortbread made with marg is-good alternative, add a bit of almond essence to the mix.

gillies08, Dec 5, 12:34am
Oh thanks lilyfield I did not know that :-)

archieb, Dec 5, 5:23am
Only a few kinds of marg are vegan, most have milk in them.

wicked_garden, Dec 5, 6:33am
Make sure you check the suitability of ingredients, even sugar is non vegan depending on whether it was refined with bone char.

uli, Dec 5, 7:53am
OMG

gillies08, Dec 7, 2:43am
Agree uli!

roshu, Dec 7, 2:57am
There are plenty of vegan frienly fruit balls with a ground date or dried apricot base and rolled in coconut. If you look for ones using fruit juice and no added sugar they will be safe and healthy too.

frances1266, Dec 7, 6:18am
Use google and you will find numerous suitable vegan recipes.

wicked_garden, Dec 7, 7:41am
Some soft drinks are also non vegan. Fish gelatine is used as a colour stabiliser in drinks such as fanta. I am not sure if this is in the stuff sold in NZ but I do know a vegan living here that won't drink fanta for that reason.

uli, Dec 7, 9:16am
And don't drink wine either as it uses fish bits or egg whites to clear the wine . better be not drunk anyway if you want to be on top of all this . and no sugar - GREAT!

zoombla, Dec 8, 7:21am
You don't often find sugar refined with bone char these days.Chelseas, Pams etc are all fine.

mjhdeal, Dec 8, 6:30pm
Raw vegan brownie - which everyone who has tried it has loved: http://www.therawtarian.com/raw-brownie-recipe (vegan = just be sure to substitute the honey for agave, or maple syrup)

*I double the mixture

mjhdeal, Dec 8, 6:32pm
Also, raw vegan truffles - and only three ingredients! Good for those who like dark chocolate (not overly sweet). http://sikhism.about.com/od/Sikhism_Sweets/ss/Easy-Fudge-Illustrated-Recipe.htm

gillies08, Dec 9, 12:40am
Oh mjhdeal FANTASTIC!

gillies08, Dec 15, 5:40am
Oh they do look yummy! We ended up making a 'gift in a jar' by layering at the library) and exchanged the chocolate chips for dried cranberries. It looked awesome and was much appreciated. just hope they taste good!