Beer can chicken

iriegirl, Dec 2, 2:33am
Am about to try for first time, am wondering if you put anything on its skin! Eg. A rub, spice blend etc! I have some great homemade Cajun/blackening spices, but was wondering about any other ideas! TIA

mctavi, Dec 2, 3:31am
Hi
We always put spices on - whether it be Moroccon seasoning, or garlic herb, but always with a bit of salt :-) We also make a tinfoil packet, put rosemary and smoking chips in it, open a small vent and put that in to the closed lidded bbq while it's heating up and until it gets all smokey - then put the chicken in.This ends up "smoking" the chicken as well.Def put on your cajun spices - am very jealous of your dinner tonight :-)

drsr, Dec 2, 10:57pm
Internet killjoys have pretty much debunked beer can chicken, for what it's worth, e.g.:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/beer-can-chicken_b_1634001.html

It doesn't really add moisture or flavour. It's a fun gimmick and makes for good presentation though. For moisture and flavour you are better off brining and/or spatchcocking, and using a herbal or spice rub.

davidt4, Dec 2, 11:29pm
I find that spatchcocking works best, both on a barbecue and in the oven.If you run three bamboo skewers acros the bird from side to side it will hold together for easy turning.

I've never tried beer can chicken because I don't like the idea of my food being exposed to the paint and inks on the can

245sam, Dec 2, 11:59pm
iriegirl, we have always used a Cajun-type seasoning mix to sprinkle on and in the chicken however there are some interesting variations available via a Google search and some that definitely appeal to me so we'll be giving them a try.IMO the chicken needs some flavouring/seasoning and although we have yet to try it, extra flavourings such as herbs, garlic, onion can also be added to the beer.Chicken cooked this way is beautifully moist and tasty.

Hope that helps.:-))

iriegirl, Dec 3, 3:23am
Thanks to you all for your advice and suggestions, went for a rub of different sauces (oyster, soy and chilli) and put 1/2 of that mix in the can and 1/2 in the beer. It was really moist but didn't really have that much flavor, really like the modified mug suggestion, and will keep trying out different flavourings till we find one that we like, and that imparts some of its goodness in the chicken!

drsr, Dec 3, 4:33am
None of the flavour comes out of the can because the contents don't get hot enough to evaporate, unless you're really overcooking the chicken.