Cappuccino cake

ange164, Nov 27, 2:28am
I've tried making it today. Dads birthday isn't 'til friday, so I have time to make another if this is a flop. BUT I won't know for sure until I cut into it. SO - how do I know if it was a flop or not! I had to put tin foil on the top to stop the meringue burning, and it took about an hour anda half to bake, not 45 mins like the recipe says. The meringue is looking a bit "burnt brown" rather than golden brown.Was I meant to bake the cake first and then in the last half hour put the topping on!

ange164, Nov 27, 2:28am
I've tried making it today. Dads birthday isn't 'til friday, so I have time to make another if this is a flop. BUT I won't know for sure until I cut into it. SO - how do I know if it was a flop or not! I had to put tin foil on the top to stop the meringue burning, and it took about an hour anda half to bake, not 45 mins like the recipe says. The meringue is looking a bit "burnt brown" rather than golden brown.and has naturally collapsed in on its self with a 5 mm crust on top.
Was I meant to bake the cake first and then in the last half hour put the topping on!

ange164, Nov 27, 3:14am
I bit the bullet; figuring if it was okay I'd serve it pre-sliced, and if not I'd know.It's insipid as far as coffee flavor goes, mostly just cinnamon flavor.
The meringue is crunchy, not soft like I was hoping for.
The cake is moist as advertised. But over all, it's not one I'd bother doing again.

geldof, Nov 27, 4:19am
It looks good.

I often find that cinnamon dominates coffee.

lindylambchops1, Nov 27, 9:18am
Go you!That looks delicious.served with cream & fresh strawberries

sarahb5, Nov 27, 8:54pm
It does look good - where did you find the recipe and will you share please!

245sam, Nov 27, 9:21pm
ange164, I have compared the picture of your cake with the picture of the uncut cake in the recipe book and your cake looks very much the same as the cake in the book - maybe your meringue is just a tiny bit darker than the book's one otherwise I'd say 'well done'.
IMO you definitely need to make the coffee much stronger and if the cinnamon is too strong for your liking, then I suggest that you use some of the cake mixture's 1 tsp cinnamon for dusting the top of the cooked cake, however I really do think the problem is that your coffee was not strong enough.I can't recall exactly how much coffee I used but I think I'd make the coffee so strong that it was undrinkable - that way I'm sure the coffee flavour would dominate in the cake.

Hope that helps.:-))