Brevill 'Not so slow' Slow Cooker

mopar06, Nov 25, 11:50pm
I have a brevill slow cooker that seems to have a problem with slow cooking. All recipies that take 6-8 hours seem to take 2-3 hours and would never be able to leave anything cooking as it burns on the side and bottoms. I cant use slow cooker recipie books as I cant work out the accurate cooking times or stop them burning! Does anyone else have these issues!

drsr, Nov 26, 6:05am
Faulty thermostat, send it back.

sooseque, Nov 26, 6:24am
I had one like that, put a candy thermometer in it to test, phoned them and told them how hot it was and they replaced it

ange164, Nov 26, 7:49am
could well be faulty. The other factor I can think of would be if you're not filling it to more than half way, that will affect cooking times.

mopar06, Nov 26, 9:31am
Cooked a huge topside in it tonight. Was done in 5 hours on low.was tough as a boot. I give up!

beebs, Nov 26, 10:26pm
i would have done it for longer, on at say 7 in the morning, open the lid at 5, especially if its a biggy.

deansstand, Nov 26, 10:38pm
Do you put some water or other liquid to cover the bottom, I put on meat at 0500 turn off at 1600 no problems Mine,s Kambrook.

mopar06, Nov 27, 1:02am
It had already started to burn :(

maccado, Nov 27, 6:03am
Mine did this, it would cook so hot the lid would bounce around after an hour! in the end the pot cracked, used it prolly 4 times max. horrible thing.

nik12, Nov 27, 12:02pm
Hmm, interesting. I think my new one is breville. I've found it too hot too.I thought that was normal for the new one's! Probably too late for me to complian and I don't have a thermometer.

kuaka, Nov 27, 5:36pm
It's never too late to complain about an appliance that doesn't do what it's supposed to.If you can't return it to where it was purchased, complain to the manufacturer.

Asfor the topside, I wouldn't have done it in the crockpot, it's best roasted, and not necessarily slow-roasted.Despite what a lot of people think, topside is a good roast meat, best browned quickly and then just roasted, served slightly underdone, and carved "correctly" (incorrect carving accounts for a lot of tough meat) it should be delicious.I never roast any other cut of beef.

mackenzie2, Nov 27, 5:55pm
Ha mine has been the same since I brought it, I now have a new one and cannot believe how slow. it is, It used to cook things in half the suggested time, Meals always came out nice though, I have had two of them, so go used to the speed of cooking, as I said I am finding my new George Forman cooker slow!