Please share your gingerbread men recipes

djtateo, Nov 25, 7:23am
thanks. i am after a recipe that you have tried and works every time.

elsielaurie1, Nov 25, 7:53am
Here's one I've used.

Gingerbread Men

3 tablespoons golden syrup
75g caster sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1½ teaspoons ginger
75g butter
½ teaspoon baking soda
225g plain flour
Chocolate pieces for decoration

Preheat your oven to 180oC.

Place golden syrup, sugar, water and spices into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring well.

Remove from heat and add butter and baking soda to the sugar mixture, mixing in well. Add flour, a bit at a time, until mixture makes a firm dough.

Wrap dough in a sheet of baking paper and put aside to cool - the fridge is an ideal place.

Once cool, unwrap, and roll out to 5mm thickness, with another piece of baking paper on top. (stops the dough sticking to the rolling pin.)

Get your favourite Christmas cutters or gingerbread man cutter and cut out your shapes. Decorate with chocolate bits for eyes and place well spaced out on lightly greased tray. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden and crisp.

Decorating Gingerbread men

When cool, use red coloured icing to pipe a mouth on each gingerbread man. For buttons, use a small amount of icing to help make M & Ms stick to the biscuits.

Tip - when I made mine, I cut a piece off the dough, placed it between 2 pieces of baking paper, rolled it out, removed the top piece of baking paper, cut it to the gingerbread shape, then simply lifted the cut-out gingerbread shape, with one piece of the baking paper still on the under-side, straight on to the oven tray. Otherwise, trying to prise them off the work-bench once cut, doesn't have very good results. You will end up with little pieces of baking paper, but as these can be used many times, store them in a plasic bag till next time.Good Luck.