Ideas for gingerbread men's eyes, mouths etc?

venna2, Dec 17, 7:53pm
It's the time of year I make gingerbread men, and I need good ideas for their features. I've used pebbles/skittles but these are a bit too big as I like to make the smaller gingerbread men for the smaller kids.

My son suggested hundreds and thousands but these are on the small side for individual features. I don't have a device that would let me play with icing sugar. So are there any suitable lollies or whatnot that you recommend?

unknowndisorder, Dec 17, 8:00pm
Raisins? You can also buy disposable piping bags.

venna2, Dec 17, 8:11pm
Raisins might be a bit big but you've reminded me of currants.

ruby2shoes, Dec 17, 8:37pm
a bit of red licorice for the mouth?

venna2, Dec 17, 8:39pm
Yes, good idea.

sarahb5, Dec 17, 9:46pm
You can buy writing icing in tubes at the supermarket - easy peasy. We always used currants for eyes and buttons.

vixen, Dec 17, 11:17pm
Mini m&ms? Currants for eyes and chopped up red and green glace cherries for mouth/buttons

venna2, Dec 17, 11:42pm
Lots of good ideas! I'd forgotten about mini m&ms, I think I used them last year. But I'll get currants, maybe red licorice and glace cherries, and I'll even look at the icing in tubes. As long as my baking is also up to scratch, they should be good.

I made a practice batch yesterday (before I posted my request here) and my son's girlfriend's three-year-old not only ate them with running commentary but started reciting 'The Little Gingerbread Man' story.

crazynana, Nov 18, 5:45pm
You can also buy Queen brand Soft Sugar Pearls which are pretty pastel colours and not like those "jaw breaker" silver cachous you get and are slightly bigger. They are in the baking aisle with the other decorations. Much bigger than hundreds and thousands and slightly bigger than the silver ones.