Jellied cucumber recipe from the 80's

katalin2, Nov 25, 3:49am
Does anyone remember this! From memory it had grated cucumber, a little scraped onion, crushed pineapple, maybe mint, all set in a jelly mould and turned out when set. Thinking of making it for Christmas if anyone still has the recipe.

nanberrie, Nov 25, 3:54am
My Gran used to make pea mould. same thing!

rainrain1, Nov 25, 4:11am
and it had grated carrot for colour, and set in lime jelly in a ring mold

accroul, Nov 25, 4:35am
I remember grated carrot & pineapple in lemon! jelly but I don't recall cucumber - maybe my nan didn't like that bit!

chesty1, Nov 25, 6:01am
HI - I think it was set in a lime jelly with mint and we used peppermint tea instead of water and added cider vinegar (or any vinegar)!

rosiemoodle, Nov 25, 6:48am
I did a lovely beetroot one in a mold and it started to melt when i put it on the table so beware.lol

katalin2, Nov 25, 7:00am
Reading the above I am now wondering if it might have been the carrot salad- and I do remember the odd disaster dipping the tuppeware jelly mould into hot water and leaving it too long so it started to melt. If anyone has recipes for any of above it would be great.

elliehen, Nov 26, 10:23am
Americans like their savoury "Jello" salads.One I remember had cottage cheese in it.If you put "Jello Salad" into Google, you'll get lots of variations on the theme.

rainrain1, Nov 27, 4:32am
I cup grated carrot
1 tin (11 ozs) crushed pineapple
1 1/2 tsp gelatine
1 jelly (lime lemon or your choice
1 cup boiling water
1 small red onion
1 1/2 Tblsp vinegar
Make jelly with gelatine and water.
Add carrot, pineapple and vinegar
Can add diced cucumber, grapes, peppers, celery etc

Set in a ring mold

katalin2, Nov 28, 8:08am
Thanks rainrain- I am pretty sure that is the one! It will be on our Christmas table.

kara101, Nov 29, 12:23am
Gosh i Love beetroot jelly, my favourite!