Ginger Beer

Page 2 / 2
vomo2, Nov 30, 1:48am
Lindylambchops, when is it ready to drink! And when is it too old to drink!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:49am
Yes once the bottles go hard on the kitchen bench I put them into the fridge.Didn't know about the Hansells' lemon essence, would have thought lemon juice would be required to make it work as the acid from the lemons helps with the fermentation method.

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:50am
The sediment is where all the yummy flavour is!But of course if you don't like it pour contents of bottle through a sieve to eliminate this!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:51am
Yes I prefer to decrease the sugar amount as I don't have a sweet tooth!
but that choice is yours.

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:53am
No bug to wait for your put it all into a bottle & shake to dissolve sugar (using warm water, not too hot though as to kill the yeast).I do two bottles at a time so one to drink one waiting in the fridge!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:55am
Leave the mixture on the kitchen bench, I usually leave it all day then when bottle is hard by night time put in fridge.Ready for drinking next day all nice & cold.It never gets too old to drink in this house!No idea if it keeps well.I prefer to drink it fairly fresh.

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:56am
Apologies for my fat fingers lol just 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar.

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:56am
I have never tried it with fresh ginger.Please let me know how fresh ginger goes.maybe it would give it more of a 'zing'!Yum!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:58am
Wish TradeMe message board had a way of notifying you when you had a question or comment made against your post!I apologise to you all for not checking back on this thread.
Hope you are enjoying your ginger beer!
Bottoms up!

gerry64, Dec 3, 1:18am
I have shaken it for ages but ginger still keeps settling on the bottom! Have I not skaken it enough

wildflower, Dec 3, 1:53am
Doesn't matter, just tip it up before you pour a glass if you want to mix it in a bit.As long as you shake it when you first make it to dissolve sugar.

gerry64, Dec 3, 2:11am
cheers wildflower

lindylambchops1, Dec 3, 4:13am
A sediment does form on the bottle.don't shake it any more just let it sit for a day on the bench then put in fridge.DO NOT SHAKE BEFORE OPENING!Open the bottle very slowly, letting the gas out a little at a time.Enjoy!

lindylambchops1, Dec 3, 4:13am
Awww thanks Wildflower didn't see your reply.thanks for helping OP.

gerry64, Dec 3, 4:31am
thanks lindychops - one thing is for sure was much easier than the way my Mum used to di way back when - with this capping thing she had to tap the tops on with a hammer - nine brews out of 10 at least one bottle exploded