Ginger Beer

Page 1 / 2
rinny5, Nov 22, 3:27am
I've just found my Mum's ginger beer bug and decided to give it a go this summer.Would it be okay to use plastic lemondade/soft drink bottles with screw caps!

lindylambchops1, Nov 22, 6:44am
I make a bottle almost everyday ( one in fridge & one in the making!) Here is my recipe for Ginger Beer in a bottle (plastic bottle) 1/4tsp baking yeast, 3 tsps ground ginger, 1.2 tsp cream of tartar, 2 tablspns lemon juice, 1 cup white sugar (I decrease this amount to 1/3 cup). Put into 1.5ltr bottle fill nearly to top with warm water. Shake well to dissolve sugar. Leave 24 hours on bench. Refrigerate. Undo lid slowly to release gas before opening. We love it! Enjoy! Cheers!
Yes plastic bottles are perfect, but don't fill to high.

racheee, Nov 22, 6:46am
Going to try this myself, was just thinking about it today!

harrislucinda, Nov 22, 8:20am
yesplasticbottlesaregreatThatisalliuse

rinny5, Nov 23, 12:58am
Thanks everybody - will start the bug this weekend!

branpy, Nov 26, 12:11am
Baking yeast!Is this ordinary granulated yeast you buy at supermarket to make bread etc!Do you need to use it straight away - or can it be stored in the fridge a while!

malcovy, Nov 26, 12:28am
There should be a use by date on top of lid and once opened, just keep it in the fridge.I wouldn't use breadmaker yeast for making gingerbeer.Breakmaker yeast is stated on bottle.

harrislucinda, Nov 26, 12:53am
nobesttousegranularbutcome tothink about itihaveusedthepowered yeastandhasworked

branpy, Nov 26, 1:44am
Thanks re the yeast.I have "ordinary" dry yeast in the cupboard.I meant can the ginger beer be storedfor a while or does it need to be used straight away.Years ago my mother made ginger beer some of the glass bottles exploded made a terrible mess and damaged shelving and floor in storeroom almost like paint stripper she never made it again.Post 2's recipe sounds easy though.

seafield1, Nov 26, 2:09am
I use a very similar recipe to poster 2, plastic bottles are perfect, you can tell very easily when the beer is ready as the bottle goes hard. I have found the shelf time is not indefinite, mind you it never lasts more than a couple of days round here anyway. It has gone off when the bottle goes soft. The recipe I have uses the lemon flavouring (Hansells I think) so that will work for those that lack a lemon supply.

seafield1, Nov 26, 2:10am
If you do use the granular yeast, it sometimes leaves sediment, if you don't like that just strain it off.

wildflower, Nov 26, 2:18am
Good to see about decreasing the sugar.I think I'll try it.When I was a kid my best friends mum made her own and I loved it but as I've got older I drink sugar free everything but with lindy decreasing the sugar to 1/3 c it would be nice for the odd drink:)

mopar06, Nov 27, 1:06am
So you don't have seperate 'bug' ! Just a fresh bottle every day!

gdwitch, Nov 28, 9:37am
Lindylamchops lovedtotry this out.Just wondering about the amount of cream of tartar.Do you mean 1 1/2 tsp.
Thanks

wildflower, Nov 29, 2:41am
I made lindylambchops recipe as above with 1/3 c sugar.All good, thanks for the recipe!

dibble35, Nov 29, 9:49am
from what i have read/heard about there are 2 ways of making gingerbeer, one with a store brought yeast and the other way with a gingerbeer 'bug' which is also a yeast but one which you keep a bit back from a batch and keep alive by feeding. much like sour dough bread. must make this one day. but im not really that fond of fizzies, but itfascinates me

gerry64, Nov 29, 10:51am
Dibble how much cream of tartar did you use 1.5 teaspoons!

jayjay54, Nov 29, 8:17pm
if it helps gerry I made some yesterday and used one and half teaspoons of cream of tartar tasted this am and was very nice also I used Active Yeast (dry granulse) which stated on jar you can use for bread, ginger beer etc

theboss17, Nov 29, 11:12pm
can u use fresh ginger i hav everthing else

gerry64, Nov 29, 11:47pm
cheers jayjay

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:41am
Sorry just saw all these posts 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:42am
I use bread yeast as I make bread every other day too.I like to refrigerate before we drink it as we like it cold!Store in fridge.Doesn't last long here that is why I make a bottle or two every other day!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:44am
I use bread maker yeastwith no problems!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:45am
This recipe is easy peasy & is drunk within a day or two of making it.My parents also suffered broken glass bottles from a bug made type of ginger beer, which exploded in the middle of the night everywhere in the kitchen!

lindylambchops1, Nov 30, 1:46am
This recipe requires NO BUG!Make in the bottle.I usually make two bottles at a time.